Problems with external usb harddrive

Vectis

After installing the sp2 beta3 I cannot get my external usb harddrive to work. If I follow the default route of installing/updating the drivers, the device disappears and if I try to do it manually, I end up with a BSOD at boot:

(Invalid vxd dynamic link call from NTMAPHLP (02) + 00000002 to device "004f" service 1).

I've got a drive image from the point before I installed the sp, so I can easily recreate the process if that helps resolve this.

After installing the sp2 beta3 I cannot get my external usb harddrive to work. If I follow the default route of installing/updating the drivers, the device disappears and if I try to do it manually, I end up with a BSOD at boot:

(Invalid vxd dynamic link call from NTMAPHLP (02) + 00000002 to device "004f" service 1).

I've got a drive image from the point before I installed the sp, so I can easily recreate the process if that helps resolve this.

I think one of the USB-related hot-fixes causes this problem. Can you write your USB drive's details (brand-model)? Do you have latest drivers for your USB drive and for your mainboard?

The external drive is simply a usb to ide cable and a power supply, a cheap noname from HongKong. I've updated the boards intel chipset drivers and also the Belkin 2 port usb pci card, but still the problem remains. When installed it shows up as a 1394/usb storage device.

re the cheap no-name:

You're likely holding a brand-name component w/o its label: have you googled the fcc id #? or even a serial # alongside the type of product?

A lot of brand name manufacturing out there is farmed out / subcontracted, also many brand names own discount brand subsidiaries... in fact, i doubt that anyone would risk mass-producing such a product just to sell it generically.

I've done this with webcams & monitors--including this "Proview" monitor i'm currently staring at; didn't even have to use the add hardware wizard:

once i downloaded the drivers, installed the .inf file & rebooted, w98 detected it.

Betcha........

This is definately a "noname" product, there is no fcc id/serial number or any other type of id on it. I bought it on e-bay for the sum of 3GBP (the [postage was 6GBP - just to give you an idea of how cheap this is) from a seller in Hong Kong.

I dont quite understand this, the device clearly worked before I installed the hotfixes from the service-pack, but after the installation the device is gone. Surely the supplied drivers that I have tried must be compatible or I wouldn't be able to get them working in the first instance.

http://www.jetechworld.com/ideusbadapter/ideusbadapter.jpg

Thanks for your answer Vectis-- three/four other things i'd try(a lot of this will likely be re-inventing the wheel to you, but just in case):

Any manufacturer listed inside the supplied driver files may have updated drivers that you can use:

Download all your mobo's usb hub drivers updates-- both 1.1 & 2, edit all their dates to today's, & re-install them. Do the same to the included drivers of your usb peripheral-- these steps may be especially effective in combination with first uninstalling SESP, then subsequently re-installing it. Think also about using ME's native usb drivers by applying 98SE2ME-- this may also help in the rare instances when some makers only provide updates to ME but not 98 drivers(like my mobo maker).

there's a tiny chance the Adaptec UDF Reader may be involved--(if you need extra apps for thoroughly removing & backing it up better than with add/remove, they're here:) http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...7815&hl=adaptec

I would perform all these tasks with all security apps disabled: any real-time file protection.... spywareblocker/spywareguard too(even though they will ask if you want to keep the just-installed file in question, this may have altered/negatively impacted something in the install process).

Good luck.....

Not unless you want to hex it-- talk to Gape:

I wouldn't worry though-- whatever it installed that overwrote something, you can return the favor w/ your new-dated stuff.

You could run SFC or peruse its log(hopefully you have it set to append, not overwrite) in Helpdesk to sleuth the likely culprit....

(In windows\system\precopy\sp1.cab is all the SESP stuff, and windows uses it in lieu of its install cd.)

Or you can just remove all USB stuff & reinstall it: do a usb Find & migrate any files/folders with usb in the name in Windows & its subfolders-- there's about 30 total scattered in Windows & in its following subfolders: INF, NEW, System32\Drivers, System, System\Catroot\(xxxxxx)\

BUT

the SESP would have to be uninstalled, or at the vey least all usb stuff removed from that SP1.Cab...

Ok, this is starting to get extremely frustrating :realmad:. Starting from a fresh install of windows, I have updated the Intel chipset drivers and the (Belkin) usb 2.0 PCI card drivers. The motherboard does not have any usb ports itself, but it is able to. From the SP, I install ONLY the hotfixes and then reboot. When I switch on my usb device, windows detects it and starts the driver wizard. First it detects a USB 2.0 device and then informs me that its looking for updated drivers for "USB mass storage driver". Next I am asked to insert the disk "USB mass storage driver", and after pointing it in the direction of the SP files it detects a usb mass storage device and then quickly changes to "reboot for changes to take effect" screen. After rebooting, device manager shows a "USB mass storage driver and a USB mass device", but there is nothing in explorer

:no:.

Depending on mobo/chipset, Intel also had, besides the drivers, and the Application Accelerator, an INF utility-- extra instructions for the processor re agp, usb, pci, etc.... I'd guess likely you've done that: just covering all bases.

Done the usual: manually trying to assign a letter in Device Manager(it's listed there?) / Properties, installed mobo drivers, no exclamation points there, tested another peripheral in the usb, switched pci slots,

Was it the updated SESP? Try removing both usb installs from Device Manager & reboot: let windows detect. If it doesn't I'd this time re-install usb2 last.

Could be an issue of enabling dma in ALL these locations: bios(this is a reach, but: ¿enabling legacy usb support??), windows, a jumper inside your case...

This is also a reach, but you'll need it later anyhow(but ONLY if supported by your processor, memory & mobo-- if not, it may work initially, but eventually trash your data & install): in windows enable both 32-bit disk & file access, asynchronous mode transfer...

I've now tried this with another usb device (a proper enclosure this time) and the problem remains. I am fairly convinced that the problem is with one of the hot-fixes (after all, if I dont install em - I dont get the problem) but if there are people out there who have successfully installed the SP and have an external usb 2.0 hard-drive working then please come forward and say so!!.

Horsecharles: many thanks for all your ideas.

Gape: can you offer any suggestions?.

I've now tried this with another usb device (a proper enclosure this time) and the problem remains. I am fairly convinced that the problem is with one of the hot-fixes (after all, if I dont install em - I dont get the problem) but if there are people out there who have successfully installed the SP and have an external usb 2.0 hard-drive working then please come forward and say so!!.

Horsecharles: many thanks for all your ideas.

Gape: can you offer any suggestions?.

Sorry for the late answer.

Some ideas:

1- Install your USB device and drivers (and insert-open it) before installing the SP.

2- Revert back the NTMAPHLP.SYS file. (You can find this file in the original Windows 98 SE CABs).

Can you write your detailed hardware list?