Windows 2k/2k3 RIS Servers

codejunkie

Here's a couple posts by me on a couple other sites that might be of use to you. PM me if you have any questions (after thuroughly reading both articles) Later!

http://www.osnn.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-36648.html

http://bink.nu/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1684

note to mods: If you would prefer I copy and post those posts to this forum please let me know... mean no disrespect.

In response a PM asking how to connect to the RIS server:

To connect the client to the server you simply enable Network Boot (also known as BOOTP or PXE BOOT) and press the corresponding key during boot (right after POST). On most newer PCs this is the F12 key, on some older PCs it's the N key. It should prompt you to press the key. Good luck! Let me know if this helps!

In response a PM asking how to connect to the RIS server:

To connect the client to the server you simply enable Network Boot (also known as BOOTP or PXE BOOT) and press the corresponding key during boot (right after POST).  On most newer PCs this is the F12 key, on some older PCs it's the N key.  It should prompt you to press the key.  Good luck!  Let me know if this helps!

Hi,

well I've tried that, but my PC just doesn't get an IP address from DHCP server even thou DHCP is configured to deliver IP addresses to both DHCP and BOOTP clients ... :( If I use for example Acronis True Image to boot from, the PC gets an IP with no problems, but during PXE it just doensn't ...

• 2 weeks later...

klasika,

is the RIS server setup correctly? Have you ever been able to connect to the RIS server?

A short check list for a RIS server setup....

DHCP

DNS

TFTPD

Active directory...

I would check these services are all running correctly on the server.

Taggs :)

klasika,

is the RIS server setup correctly? Have you ever been able to connect to the RIS server?

A short check list for a RIS server setup....

DHCP

DNS

TFTPD

Active directory...

I would check these services are all running correctly on the server.

Taggs  :)

TFTPD?

Trivial File Transfer Protocol Daemon (TFTPD)

To start the TFTPD service on the RIS server click Start, point to Programs, then to Administrative Tools, and then click Services. Scroll down the list of services and double click on Trivial File Transfer Protocol Daemon. In the start up type select automatic. If the service is not started at this time, click on the start button. Click OK.

Taggs

:)

This is what it is used for...

Trivial File Transfer Protocol Daemon (TFTPD)

This server side TFTP service is responsible for hosting specific file download requests made by the client computer. The TFTPD service is used to download the Client Installation wizard (CIW) and all client dialog boxes contained within the CIW for a given session.

Taggs :)

I know what TFTPD means :) but I didn't know it's that important. Anyway, yes TFTPD works, but I still can't get an IP from DHCP server. I have no errors in Event log ... my AD works just fine, same with DNS, DHCP ... :}

Hmmm :wacko: , is the DHCP server on the same segment of network?

If not try putting it on the same switch/hub if possible

Is it going through a router?

Your router will have to be configured correctly to allow DHCP request through or on some routers you can set it up to allocate DHCP.

Have you told the server to accept requests for serviceable clients?

Open AD, Domain Controllers, right click the server, properties, check respond to client computers requesting service. :)

Hmmm :wacko: , is the DHCP server on the same segment of network?

If not try putting it on the same switch/hub if possible

Is it going through a router?

Your router will have to be configured correctly to allow DHCP request through or on some routers you can set it up to allocate DHCP.

Have you told the server to accept requests for serviceable clients?

Open AD, Domain Controllers, right click the server, properties, check respond to client computers requesting service.  :)

It is on the same segment. It's not behind the router. It is selected to respond to clients requesting service. Anyway I'm using 3COM 3300 XM switch ... can this be the problem? Thanks

I don't think it will be the switch but I don't know enough about network hardware.

If you have management console for it have a look for something obvious.

It would seem to me it is more likely to be a software setting though.

:wacko: