WinInstall LE tool question...

marvc

I stumbled upon this site today and after spending some time reading some of the threads I'm glad I did because it looks to be the life preserver I'm looking for. With this being my first post I ask that the gurus takes it easy on me. :)

I downloaded WinInstall LE 2003 from a thread here with hopes of using it to help me package some of my .exe files, ie photoshop, illustrator, etc. After reading through the tool it appears as though it only packages .msi files. I don't have a problem distributing .msi fiiles via GPO, it's the .exe's that I needing help with. And if there's a way to package and/or distribute these without having to manually write scripts then I'm all for it.

My question with WinINstall LE is that I thought it allowed you to repackage .exe files? Maybe I haven't finished reading it but I notice that when I create a package directory it only sees the .msi files in that directory and none of the .exe. Can someone advise on this?

thnks

Again..diggin' this site...

I'm not sure if I got you right.

If you want to edit/modify an existing MSI, you go to File --> Import Package...! Then, go with the flow! :-)

If you have a program with EXE extension and want to change it to an MSI, this is called repackaging.

How to repackage? Go to File --> Run Discover...! Then, go with the flow! :-|

In the first case, WinINSTALL will only open MSI files.

In the second case, WinINSTALL will only run EXE files.

Correct. I'm trying to modify an executable and wasn't sure of the re-package option in WinInstall LE. I'm also confused on how or where this app, wininstall le, gets installed. Is this app installed on my XP box or in a central location like a server?

What I'm trying to do is repackage a couple of executables for some XP systems. I only have this one XP box and a server if needed.

One of the executables in question is Adobe Acrobat Standard.

thnks

WinstallLE is on the XP CD under the valuadd\3rdparty folder if i recall.

You install te program and therunit.

It scans your pc

you install program - DO NOT REBOOT

make modes to program

second scan makes the msi

This is always done best on a newly built PC with NO applications installed