Installing PLUS! For Windows XP

Inref this post: Guide to create Net Framework 1.1 w/SP-1 combined by bitmonster

A. Has anyone used this to do a compressed install of PLUS!?

B. Will it work or am I wasting my time?

C. Will removing the instmsi*.* files cause any problems if I just use the updated msiexec.exe from the slipstreamed i386 folder on the disk? (expanded and renamed of course.)

This is what I have done so far:

(x:\ is referring to the drive I am using for the temp folders, can be any drive.)

1. Copied the entire CD to x:\PLUS\PLUS!

2. Removed instmsi*.* from the x:\PLUS!\PLUS! folder and replaced them with msiexec.exe.

3. I also renamed the .msi installer to PLUS!.msi and made my config text file to include:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="MICROSOFT PLUS! FOR WINDOWS XP"
RunProgram="MSIEXEC /i PLUS!.MSI /qb!-"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Placing it in my x:\PLUS folder

4. Copied 7zs.sfx (already UPX'd) and 7za.exe to X:\PLUS

5. Then I run the command:

..\7za.exe a "PLUS!.7z" -r -mx=7 -mfb=255 =md=48 *

(this is where I am at now, but I intend to finish up:)

6. Run the command:

COPY /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + Plus!.7z Plus!.exe

7. Copy the new PLUS!.exe to my $OEM$\$1\Install folder

8. Using RunOnceEx.cmd, call it during unattended using:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDROM=%%i:
SET OEMPATH=%CDROM%\$OEM$
SET OEMINSTALL=%CDROM%\$OEM$\$1\Install
REG ADD %KEY%\043 /VE /D "PLUS!" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\043 /V 1 /D "7za x -y -aoa %OEMINSTALL%\Plus!.exe -o%systemdrive%\Plus!" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\043 /V 2 /D "%OEMINSTALL%\Plus!.exe" /f

The first key will copy and extract it to my HDD for future needs, the second line will install it from the CD, hopefully, assuming I am doing this correctly.

Can anyone enlighten me if I am?

The ONLY thing that I wanted out of Plus! was the themes (with accompanying screensavers). I made a self-extracting RAR file of all the needed files and then used InstallShield Repackager to make an msi file out of it.

In all honesty, the only other thing I could possibly see anyone wanting out of Plus! would be the games, and they were all fairly lousy at that.

I did notice one little annoyance with my package. When you apply a theme, sometimes (yes, only sometimes), I get a pop-up that says you need to agree to the Plus! EULA. It does not seem to stop you from applying the theme however. As of yet, I still have not bothered to hunt down the reg entry that will alleviate that minor annoyance.

Mostly I use it for the WMP features, like the MP3 conversion and the Personal DJ, the tray tool is also nice. My son though likes the games and the themes, so I use it in both systems which is why I want to just go ahead and add it all. And yet your post still has nothing to do with my post above.

I've tried to rip out stuff from Plus! and place it my unattended CD. I've ripped out the Screensavers, the WMP visualizations, Desktop Themes... etc.

BUT!!!!! Everytime I start a screensaver, or one of the Plus WMP visualizations, it tells me I did not accept the EULA. I've been trying to find the right .dll and register it, but so far to no avail. Spent a few threads on it, too, here.

Let me know if you manage.

Regards,

eNuffSaid

And yet your post still has nothing to do with my post above.

OK Mr. Personality,

Why don't you make life a little easier on yourself and pick up a little VBscript. Then you can install msi programs much easier.

Dim ws, fs, objService, objSoftware, strFiles, strTemp, str7Zcmd, strDecompress, errReturn

Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objService = GetObject("winmgmts:")

Set objSoftware = objService.Get("Win32_Product")

If fs.FolderExists("D:\EXTRAS") Then strFiles = "D:\EXTRAS\"

If fs.FolderExists("E:\EXTRAS") Then strFiles = "E:\EXTRAS\"

If fs.FolderExists("F:\EXTRAS") Then strFiles = "F:\EXTRAS\"

If fs.FolderExists("C:\Temp") Then strTemp = "C:\Temp"

If fs.FolderExists("D:\Temp") Then strTemp = "D:\Temp"

If fs.FolderExists("E:\Temp") Then strTemp = "E:\Temp"

str7Zcmd = "7za x -o"

strDecompress = str7Zcmd & strTemp & " " & strFiles

ws.Run strDecompress & """MS Plus!.7z""",0, True

errReturn = objSoftware.Install(strTemp & "\Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP.msi","transforms=""Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP.mst""", True)

You can make your own mst file to include or exclude anything you want. Seems a lot easier to me than all this comman line stuff.

I would like to pick up some vb in the future, but until I can get past this seizure problem I am having, I have enough trouble just doing what I can. Thanks for the last post though, if I can figure out how to implement it, I may.

@eNuffSaid

That's why I just install the entire thing then remove what I don't want later, it's too much hassle trying to figure out what the key is.