Windows Source Error

iGoX

Hi all,

Well when I found this tools i said me: "Thanks all those guys that code cmd script, no more 24h to reinstall my OS, GREAT !"

But... I never be able to load XPCreate :)

Each time i load it, it returns me this message "Source does not appear to be a CD. ", but my XPCREATE.INI file seems OK to me... i fill it with the drive letters of my DVD-Rom reader and CD-Rom burner...

The following screen shoot is what XPCreate returns to me :

XPCreate.jpg

and there the log file it creates :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 13:54:02 -- Started  at: 13:54:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 13:54:02 -- XPCREATE Version : 11 JUN 2004

-- 13:54:02 -- Running on :

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 13:54:02 -- Setting Variables

@ECHO OFF

SET CDBURNER=Z:

SET CDERASE=NO

SET CDLABEL=WXPPROFR

SET CDSPEED=MAX

SET COPYSOURCE=YES

SET DELISOS=NO

SET DELROOT=NO

SET DELTEMP=NO

SET DLAUTO=YES

SET DLURL=http://xpcreate.wiretapped.us/HFLISTS

SET DOCABS=YES

SET DOCD=YES

SET DOISO=YES

SET DOPATH=NO

SET DOSATA=YES

SET DOSVCPACK=YES

SET DRIVERDIR=$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS

SET EXITQUIET=NO

SET OVERWRITEOEM=YES

SET SILENTINSTALL=YES

SET SLIPHF1=YES

SET SLIPHF2=YES

SET SLIPMDC=YES

SET SLIPSPK=YES

SET XPISO=WXPPROFR.ISO

SET XPSOURCE=Y:

-- 13:54:02 -- Looking for CD Source.

-- 13:54:02 -- Trying to extract the Boot Image.

-- 13:54:02 -- Source does not appear to be a CD.

And here my "original" .INI file that attempt to use:

[XPCREATE]BOOTIMGFILE=

CDBURNER=Z:

CDERASE=NO

CDLABEL=WXPPROFR

CDSPEED=MAX

COPYSOURCE=YES

DELISOS=NO

DELROOT=NO

DELTEMP=NO

DLAUTO=YES

DLURL=http://xpcreate.wiretapped.us/HFLISTS

DOCABS=YES

DOCD=YES

DOISO=YES

DOPATH=NO

DOSATA=YES

DOSVCPACK=YES

DRIVERDIR=$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS

EXITQUIET=NO

OVERWRITEOEM=YES

QLOG=

SILENTINSTALL=YES

SLIPHF1=YES

SLIPHF2=YES

SLIPMDC=YES

SLIPSPK=YES

XPISO=WXPPROFR.ISO

XPSOURCE=Y:

It will be great if somebody can say me what's wrong... Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry, but another question (yes, i'm an annoying noob :) )

But i remark there is a "BOOTIMGFILE" section in the XPCREATE.INI file. When i go to the GreenMachine site to see what it means and what it used for, i saw "Path to Boot Image File".

First question : i saw this "BOOTIMGFILE" value has a default value that is "BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN"... but when i look in the BOOT directory under my XPCREATE install root dir, i didn't see this file... Is this file installed by default, or i have to create it by myself ?

Second question : If i have to create the "XPCTBOOT.BIN" file by myself, what this image file must contains ? My Windows XP CD-Rom image ? A Boot file that regroups all the files that we can find on a floppy boot disk ? Anything else ?..

Hope for your help, thanks.

That part of the code is ... awkward ... at the moment. What does work, is to install XPCREATE to a new, empty directory, place your Original Windows CD in your CD Dirve, and let XPCREATE find it, copy it, extract the boot image, update XPCREATE.INI, and make your new ISO/CD. You are best off NOT editing the XPCREATE.INI file for the first run, unless you need to avoid downloading the hotfixes. In this case just change DLAUTO=YES to DLAUTO=NO.

If you need help, the only file I want to see (attached) is LOGFILES.CAB, from the NEWFILES directory, and not parts of the XPCREATE.LOG file or XPCREATE.INI, which I tend to skip if included in the post.

So ... give it a try as outlined above (without modifying anything the first run), and see how that works.

Bienvenue a MSFN!

Hi,

First, thanks to you for your lightening speed response folks...

GreenMachine, i done what you said, i.e didn't edit the .INI file, and miracle ! All work fine (well, more exactly, XPCreate starts, copy my XP CD-Rom, download service pack and Hotfixes... let see what's happen after :rolleyes: )

Ha ! why noobs like me are often tortuous minded that they first edit, modify, change all they can before simply run and see if it works ? humm... :D

A little thing to finish : an ANR (Another Noob Request :D )... can't you include a switch on the command line when you call "iOpus File Download" in order to stop having its windows poping when it starts a dowload ? Because it didn't stop bugging me during i wrote this message :)

Regards.

can't you include a switch on the command line when you call "iOpus File Download" in order to stop having its windows poping when it starts a dowload ?

If I could I would, but if minimized, nothing downloads. I have reduced the number of annoying windows to a minimum: the rest I cannot get rid of. But ... you do have my sympathy, and do know I have the same problem!

Good Luck!

I now finished to update my Win XP distribution, and tested it under VMWare... and it works very well !

If I could I would, but if minimized, nothing downloads. I have reduced the number of annoying windows to a minimum: the rest I cannot get rid of
After reflexion, i said me that having popup windows doesn't really matter when i think that it will avoid me to reinstall all the patches and service pack (i've got a really old Windows XP distribution and i used to regulary crash my OS - damned noob am i -...) :rolleyes:
But ... you do have my sympathy, and do know I have the same problem!

I'm thankful for your sympathy, and much more for your work on XPCreate... :)

Regards.