Adobe Reader extract only switch?

big_gie

Hi,

Since my CD is a bit too mucu squeezed, I'd like to be able to put the original Acrobat Reader.exe (the one that is ~17 Mb, compressed with the "Netopsystems FEAD Recomposer"). The resulting extracted files are ~30Mb, witch is way too big.

What switch can I give the .exe so it will only extract the files? I then after call the .msi in conjonction with a transforms file (.mst) from witch it doesn't install crappy ads in the top right corner :)

Anyone knows?

Thanks!

perhaps you could modify this.....

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu_basic.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""

to like....

[CODE]
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu_basic.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn TRANSFORMS=%CDROM%\Apps\Acrobat\Acrobat.mst\""

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu_basic.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn TRANSFORMS=%CDROM%\Apps\Acrobat\Acrobat.mst\""

doesn't seems to work... the .exe seems to pass arguments to setup.exe, witch give control to msiexec... To tired to understand tonigh.

I'll just stick with extracting it with the "-ne" switch, and call myself msiexec with parameters.

<item display='Adobe Acrobat Reader v6.0.1 Fr'>
   <execute display='Extraction' program='%XPlode%\Programmes\acrobat\acrobat.exe' arguments='-ne' />
   <execute display='Installation' program='msiexec' arguments='/i "%WINDIR%\cache\Adobe Reader 6.0.1\FRABIG\Adobe Reader 6.0.1 - Français.msi" TRANSFORMS="%SOURCEDRIVE%\Programmes\acrobat\acrobat.mst" /qn' />
</item>

Thanks allanol

from my understanding, for after you get some sleep....

-p"-s /v\"/qn TRANSFORMS=%CDROM%\Apps\Acrobat\Acrobat.mst\""

-p" : passes parameters to the setup.exe inside the netopsys thing.

-s : makes the setup.exe silent

/v : passes commands onto the msiexec command

(that's too much passing for me personally :) )

so to put multiple commands after /v you need the quotes ("'s)

sure hope you didn't copy %CDROM% directly. :rolleyes:

<execute display='Extraction' program='%XPlode%\Programmes\acrobat\acrobat.exe' arguments='-p"-s /v\"/qn TRANSFORMS=%XPlode%Programmes\acrobat\acrobat.mst\""'/>

i think. worth a shot.

Yeah thanks :)

I've tryed something similar last evening, but wasnt sure if I needed to put " or \" inside... But also there is a path inside of the arguments: the path to the .mst file. When testing, it was in a folder with space... So I would have needed some other " over the path... " or \"?

Need to go, thanks allanol

I was able to pass parameters to the AdbeRdr60_enu_basic.exe to install silently with a tranform file inside windows with this:

acrobat.exe -p"/v\"TRANSFORMS=C:\\acrobat.mst /qn\""

So the problem with previous try is the double slashs...

I tryed to put quotes around the path (" and \") but I wasnt able to do so. So the mst can't be in a path with space... Not so important when installing from cd...

Not sure if it will work @T-12 with XPlode; will it take out the double slash as it does for paths?

Will try right now and post back...

You didn't have to run Windows XP Setup to test the extraction, that's a waste of time. Running it from Command Prompt on a Windows system is a good way to test it.

No. The fact that it works in windows isnt suffisent to say it will work in setup.

Some things need to have a user logged in to be installed...

Anyway, I still have the same error screen: reader can't be extracted to C:\windows\cache...

Anyone else successfuly installed it @ T-12?

thanx

I tested it here at work, I created a self extracting RAR of the full Adobe Reader 6.01 (even added a custom transform) and it came out to 16.8

on max compression. (This is from a Admin install without the addon Album Starter crap.)

hum...

What was your parameters? I think I was using solid archive with max compression... I'm not at home so I will retry with different params to see if I can comrpess it more than 30Mb...

How big was the original files? Did you have a ~30Mb .msi? If you have a good compression ratio then this is great :)

thanks!

Uncompressed Admin install 46.6mb

Max compression Self extracting RAR 16.8mb

Using WinRAR 3.30

Max Compression is the only non default option used.

Tried again, using the solid archive option, and still small. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is an admin install. In an admin install, the files are all extracted from the cabs or msi, and placed into their respective folders. Maybe by doing it this way, it allows them to be compressed more.

Give it a try. once you have the extracted files, do a setup.exe /a

it should ask you to specify a network location. Just give it any folder, doesn't have to actually be network.