Problems with nLite Windows XP Home SP3

konker

I've used nLite to slipstream SP3 into my Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (Simplified Chinese) & tried to remove different drivers & components.

My host computer is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

I've run into several issues with trying to nLite my Windows XP Home Edition for a Asus EeePC 4G.

Typically, the application would stop responding & be forced to exit at the removing component stage of the final step.

I've tried different combination of removing components thinking that that could be the issue.

Finally after about 10 unsuccessful runs spread across two days, I decided to give up removing any drivers or components completely.

As of today, I managed to successfully generate an ISO for testing.

I selected the necessary customization & unattended tweaks that was required including the authentic license key.

During the installation of the slipstreamed nLite Windows XP Home Edition SP3, it reached about 33 mins into the installation where the license key window shows up.

When I click on Next, an error message appears indicating that the license key is not valid.

However, that is the exact same license key that is printed on the COA.

I tried to install Windows XP Home Edition SP2 using the original OEM disc & COA license key & it worked flawlessly.

What could be the problem?

I thought this issue was fixed way back in 1.4.5 final?

Please advise me what I need to do to get around this.

The last session file is attached for your perusal.

Konker

LAST SESSION.INI

A few things:

1. it is recommended that you use XP as a host OS for creating an XP CD with nLite (some people say this problem occurs only when you integrate a SP, but still...)

2. Try getting the actual key from your system, not the one on the sticker

3. I've read in other posts that the setting Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process exposes a bug with certain side-effects.

I hope this is a good starting point.

Sp0iLeDBrAt,

Thanks for the information.

I managed to resolve the Invalid License Key issue by replacing the following files with the ones in the OEM XP-SP2 disc:

• \i386\dpcdll.dl_
  • \i386\oembios.bi_
  • \i386\oembios.ca_
  • \i386\oembios.da_
  • \i386\oembios.si_
  • \i386\pidgen.dll
  • \i386\setupp.ini
  • \i386\setupreg.hiv

I did this after running the final process but prior to creating the ISO image.

Konker

Thank you for sharing the solution.

It seems a bit strange to me that you had to rewrite the files necessary for OEM registration. As far as I know, nLite makes absolutely no changes to oembios.xxx files, because changing them would mean failure to activate you copy of XP. Did you per chance save a copy of setupp.ini before you replaced it with the one from the original disc?

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar problems. I used nLite to slipstream SP3 into a copy of XP Home OEM. Invariably, the image I make thinks it's a RETAIL version and asks me for the serial key on the label "on your Windows folder", rather than the one on my COA, and will not work with any valid COA key.

I haven't tried slipstreaming without nLite to see if the issue is caused by MS's software or nLite, but regardless the issue is there. I'll attempt the fix suggested by konker and report back.

At the same time, Windows 7 (just like Vista) is not recommended as a host OS for work with nLite, as issues appear, especially with the product key and slipstreaming SP3 (when you use the /integrate switch, which is what nLite does). See this post http://www.msfn.org/...ite-slipstream/

Edit: can you post the info you find in setupp.ini on the CD?

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

At the same time, Windows 7 (just like Vista) is not recommended as a host OS for work with nLite, as issues appear, especially with the product key and slipstreaming SP3 (when you use the /integrate switch, which is what nLite does). See this post http://www.msfn.org/...ite-slipstream/

Edit: can you post the info you find in setupp.ini on the CD?

It consists of this:

[Pid]

ExtraData=787978757A6565627478DBD943CD34

Pid=55277000

• 3 weeks later...