WinPE 2.0 Refresh Rate

gregorsamsa11

We have a WinPE-based application that needs to run accross a wide variety of hardware. One device that's giving us trouble is an old 7" monochrome monitor. This device works just fine in full version of XP and Vista, but the display is garbled in WinPE 2.0. We've injected the video card driver into the image. We've also checked the XP and Vista systems where it is working for monitor drivers. These systems are using "Microsoft Default Monitor Driver."

The point of the story is that we suspect that WinPE is setting the refresh rate and/or resolution to something incompatible with the display. Is it possible to manually specify these settings?

Setres has the ability to set resolution, color depth and refresh rate. That being said, I've only seen it work properly with the first two options. I use setres to set a refresh rate of 1Hz, which it seems either the PE rejects and uses its default for the selected resolution, or that it doesn't support that feature at all. In any case, you may want to try playing with that program to see if it helps you at all.

It supports a cli method as well as the gui. I've never used the gui method myself.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi...ls/SetRes.shtml

Thanks for the tip. Using the SetRes tool, I was able to set a resolution that was supported by the old display, and the display appeared to work. My conclusion is that WinPE is auto-detecting a resolution for the display that isn't actually supported.

For reasons I needn't go into, SetRes is not a viable solution to this problem. We would really like WinPE to correctly auto-detect the settings for this display. Does anybody have any suggestions for making this happen? Does WinPE generate any diagnostics/logs that might be of use here?

We have injected the drivers for the video adapter, and we've also confirmed that there are no drivers available for the monitor. As I mentioned above, full versions of XP and Vista correctly auto-detect the settings for this display. I'm at a loss for what else to try. We can live with this issue if necessary, and I suspect we'll have to, but I haven't given up all hope.

You may want to dig around in the registry. You can do this by mounting your pe.wim, then use Regedit to edit an Offline Registry Hive. You will find a setup.hiv in the Mount folder someplace. I haven't done this yet and I can't remember exactly where it is, but you should be able to easily find it.

The default resolution for the PE 2.x is 800x600 @ 60Hz I believe. It should be able to make due with the default display drivers. I haven't seen anything so far that leads me to believe adding display drivers does anything that the defaults can't do.

The problem is that the default resolution is unsupported by this device (it only supports 640 x 480), but we don't want to force this resolution accross the board. Most of the systems where this package will be booted have much newer displays that support much higher resolutions.

We're just going to live with the issue. I don't think there is a workable solution. Thank you for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
The problem is that the default resolution is unsupported by this device (it only supports 640 x 480), but we don't want to force this resolution accross the board. Most of the systems where this package will be booted have much newer displays that support much higher resolutions.

We're just going to live with the issue. I don't think there is a workable solution. Thank you for your help.

Gregorsamsa11,

You can try this technique......http://winpe2.blogspot.com/2008/06/change-...resolution.html

You can include an option within the Display section that allows you to set a refresh rate.

<RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>

Hope this helps.

Eagle