FAT32 for NT4 (any Russian speakers?)

fdv

Hello, I am working on a fully up to date NT4 here (for the curious, yes, I did it, it is 100% working, I just have to document how I did it), and I have added FAT32 support using a Winternals FAT32 driver I purchased in 1999. I cannot legally redistribute the read/write version, however.

Question 1. This page says you can boot NT using this driver (see "Problem 6" where he says "If FAT32.SYS driver set to boot mode start it is possible to BOOT from FAT32 partition in NT4.")

How does one 'set' the driver to something? Any ideas? Right now I am about to enter it in TXTSETUP and try loading it at boot time, adding it under [sourceDisksFiles] (fat32.sys = 1,,,,,,,4,1,0) and here as well:

[DiskDrivers.Load]
atdisk = atdisk.sys
abiosdsk = abiosdsk.sys
fat = fastfat.sys
ntfs = ntfs.sys
[b]fat32 = fat32.sys[/b]

Edit: this does not work for a new install; I will be checking on installing on FAT and converting it ot FAT32 and seeing if it still boots. Just so we know.

The main question.

I was Googling around and found mention of two file replacements, FASTFAT.SYS and FS_REC.SYS. I downloaded the file from chat.ru. There is no license with it... Is it GPL? I dunno. I can swap out the NT files and get it working, I am sure. But I'd like more details. The author is obviously Russian, and when I search for more detail, I get Russian forums. Where I am sure they have working solutions that I can't get to!

Question 2. Anyone read Russian and want to try this or this in order to supply some detail?

Edited by fdv

Fred,

some time ago I invited bearwindows to the boot-land community, mainly because of his great UNIVERSAL VIDEO DRIVER, he accepted and he has now his own little corner there:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Universal-...driver-f60.html

where he posts also about his other projects.

He is a nice guy, and from time to time he visits the Boot-Land Forum.

You can contact him through boot-land, should you not want to join there, just let me know if you want me to start a topic or PM him pointing him to this thread.....

jaclaz

P.S.: He is also member here at MSFN:

http://www.msfn.org/board/m142976.html

Edited by jaclaz

Fred,

some time ago I invited bearwindows to the boot-land community

jaclaz

!! This is perfect! Thanks jaclaz! I'll have to get his attention and get him to visit MSFN more often.