can't access computer on network

ElAguila

This is a strange problem that I haven't seen yet in Vista. I have a machine with Vista Ultimate installed. I have created several shared folders and have shared the printer. The network is configured as a Home network. All of the computers are in the same workgroup. I have network discovery, file sharing, and printer sharing turned on. Public folders and password protected sharing are turned off. I have tried access this machine from another vista pc and an xp pc. Both of them give me that error message that says MACHINE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Access Denied.

If I use the run command and type in the \\machinename\sharename I can access the shared folders from both the xp machine and the other vista machine. Permissions on these shared folders at both the file level and the share level is everyone full control.

Any ideas why the machine can't be accessed in the network neighborhood but using the run command can bring up the shared folders? I have no firewall running on the shared system. I have seen this issue in Xp before and I was able to resolve it by increasing the irpstacksize in the lanman server\parameters setting in the registry but it didnt' work on the vista machine.

Edited by ElAguila

• 2 months later...
Any ideas why the machine can't be accessed in the network neighborhood but using the run command can bring up the shared folders? I have no firewall running on the shared system. I have seen this issue in Xp before and I was able to resolve it by increasing the irpstacksize in the lanman server\parameters setting in the registry but it didnt' work on the vista machine.

Place your cursor on the item on the network you cannot access (do it on the machine where that item is located, e.g a folder), right click, Properties, Security ==> Edit, Add --> Add Administrator's GROUP to the list if it is not already there. If it is there, Add yourselves to the list, do not forget give yourselves afterwords FULL Access by checking a checkbox.

Another option, may be a better one, since you will be doing it wholesale, is to Add yourselves as a User to Administrator Group in Local Users And Groups GUI.