help needed

yogs

Hi all,

I am new to nlite addon maker. my problem is i dont know the switches, i dont know what are the switches can use i nlite addon maker, how to use this switches in different softwares(how to select the swich), how to put serial nos in during installation?

Please try giv brief explanation,

any tutorials or links available?

Thank you.

-Yogs-

Finding switches is more complicated than can be explained briefly. Basically, there are several ways to find switches:

1. Look here for some switches that have been posted. You can also just search the entire forum or Google the Internet with a term like "switches dvd shrink".

2. Use this program to find the silent switches available for some software. Just download and run USSF. When it starts, point it to the software installer you are interested in and it might give you a list of switches. I have to say that my experience with USSF has been pretty dismal. Only about one in ten times has it been able to provide the switches necessary.

3. Check the software author's web site and search in their support areas for silent switches. That doesn't always work either, though.

Switches are usually based on the installer software (not the program you are trying to install, but the installer that was used to create the installer itself). So even though a given installer might accept certain switches, it doesn't mean that the program you are trying to install was set up to use all of them.

It will take a bit of research, but you can probably find most switches to get the software installed.

When it comes to things like entering serial numbers, that often requires registry tweaking in addition to installing the software. To give you an example, here's what I just worked out about SnagIt 8:

1. I had to start the installation manually but not do anything with it.

2. With the installer still on the screen, I went to %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp and found the .msi file that was extracted as part of the installation process.

3. I used that msi file with the /qn switch to install SnagIt 8.

4. Before I even started SnagIt 8 for the first time, I made a series of registry tweaks to set certain values including the serial number.

Now, SnagIt starts and doesn't assume I have a trial copy, it doesn't present all of the annoying balloons, and it doesn't close to the system tray.

So what you are asking doesn't have a simple answer. It takes some trial and error to figure out the switches and what changes in the registry when you install the software.

Good luck.

Ray

Edited by NOTS3W