Where is activation saved?

Does anyone know where the activation key is saved after you load it using slmgr.vbs? Is there a registry entry or something?

Background here is I'd like to do a clean install on my laptop, but it only comes with recovery DVDs. I can use the Anytime Upgrade DVD to run the clean install, but would like to "back up" my activation from the original installation first, then use that to activate the clean install (trying to avoid any interaction with MS).

I'm aware that I can obtain the oem xrm-ms file from other sources, but would prefer to copy it from the existing install.

Im not sure about recovery DVD but if you have RTM version of Vista or access to an OEM you can make your own OEM DVD

Extract your Vista DVD and inside the Sources folder create a new text file and copy paste the text below inside and save the file as PID.TXT

[PID]

Value=(your OEM Vista key here)

Now take your OEM XRM-MS file and copy the file to:

SOURCES\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM

If the $OEM$ and subfolders dont exsist, create them.

Your oem xrm-ms is stored in SYSTEM32\OEM

Branding e.c.t are stored in SYSTEM32\OOBE

Burn the contents as a bootable DVD and you have your OEM disk!

You dont have to use slmgr.vbs if you copy PID.txt file to SOURCES folder

or make your own if it is not on recovery dvd.

You May need to use a keyfinder program i,e,

jellybean to get you Vista Key (Royalty Key) the one used by Manufacturer to install your system, dont use the one on the that is on your laptop case if you use this you will have to activate over the internet.

Does anyone know where the activation key is saved after you load it using slmgr.vbs? Is there a registry entry or something?

Background here is I'd like to do a clean install on my laptop, but it only comes with recovery DVDs. I can use the Anytime Upgrade DVD to run the clean install, but would like to "back up" my activation from the original installation first, then use that to activate the clean install (trying to avoid any interaction with MS).

I'm aware that I can obtain the oem xrm-ms file from other sources, but would prefer to copy it from the existing install.

The CD-Key is stored in the registry using the same encoding scheme as XP.

The XRM-MS file is imported into C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing\tokens.dat.

The CD-Key is stored in the registry using the same encoding scheme as XP.

The XRM-MS file is imported into C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing\tokens.dat.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!