Cursor problem

ArneSaknussen

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and also brand new to PC's/Windows. I recently purchased an Acer computer installed with Vista Home Premium. I enjoy it for the most part but I am finding one very annoying issue. When I move the cursor around, on occaision this icon will appear:

cursor.jpg

I believe it has something to do with scrolling, but it pops up arbitrarily. It's like hitting a wall, I can't move the cursor unless I move it in a diagoanal. It might be a "feature" that I am unaware of, but I would love to know how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums Arne. To speed up your chances of replies and to better the results, I've moved your topic to our Windows Vista forum.

You may wish to check your Mouse settings in the Control Panel in case that is a pre-set animated cursor.

[ Moved ]

That's a laptop, right? Does it have a synaptics touchpad? Is there an icon in the task bar that looks like this:

post-128497-1181787277_thumb.png

That's exactly what happened to me when I first got this laptop. Visit this page, and then drag your finger down the right side of the touchpad, right next to the edge. If you're using IE, it will change to that icon (firefox doesn't for some reason), and it will change in most other programs to that icon, too. why does it look like that? Well, you should have figured out by now that what it does is it scrolls the page up and down. So that little bar is supposed to represent the scrollbar. You can use the touchpad to scroll right and left, by dragging across the very bottom of the touchpad, or up and down, by dragging on the right side of the touchpad. I find this really useful; it's like having a mouse wheel, but if you don't like it, right click on that icon above and choose Pointing Device Properties. You can change all sorts of settings. Also, if it seems your mouse is randomly clicking, right-click on the icon and uncheck "Tap to Click". If you tap the touchpad, it registers a click, which is usually very annoying and causes unwanted clicks, so I always turn it off. I think that is the issue. Hope that helps.

PS: Welcome to MSFN!

Edited by Idontwantspam

Glad to help! :thumbup

So did you end up turning it off, or do you like this feature? I personally love it.

Thanks for the cyber-sandwhich and beer offer. Unfortunately, I don't eat beef :no:, and I'm too young to drink beer :ph34r: . But I appreciate the offer and the thought! :hello: