Downgrading Media Edition to Windows XP Home

Is there any way to downgrade to XP Home from windows media edition without having to buy the program, I don't want to spend 150$ on downgrading something.

The reason I want to downgrade is because Windows Media is not capable on doing home recording, Home edition i able to do that.

Why not just change it to professional? MCE 2005 is professional with media center basically, but without certain functionality pertaining to network domains. None of these three editions should prevent you from doing that; what program did you use to do home recording?

Its not the program but the driver thats installed to do the recording. Its called Tascam Us122L, i don't know if there are any other audio interfaces available which are compatible on Media Edition.

• 4 weeks later...
Its not the program but the driver thats installed to do the recording. Its called Tascam Us122L, i don't know if there are any other audio interfaces available which are compatible on Media Edition.

Can you give us a specific example of when this issue comes up? Are you recording TV from satellite? Cable?

What tuner are you using?

System specs?

Driver date(s)?

MCE is better than Home, but Professional w/ MCE is the best (aka Windows XP Ultimate Edition) because a pure MCE 2005 cannot join a domain. How to add MCE to professional can be found here in the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

True. I actually rarely even use the Media Center part, but I like the Pro features without the added price, and since I'm not on a domain, it doesn't matter. But there are instructions on the web for how to add MCE to a domain, though I've never tested it. You can add it to a domain during setup, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any way to downgrade to XP Home from windows media edition without having to buy the program, I don't want to spend 150$ on downgrading something.

The reason I want to downgrade is because Windows Media is not capable on doing home recording, Home edition i able to do that.

This is something I have to do as well. It's a known issue that recording/mixing interfaces and most DAW programs don't work with media center. I have xp media center on a pc I wanted to use for a home studio. I was actually just about to spend a few hundred on an Alesis io26 audio interface when I discovered media center isn't supported. I was thinking and hoping it wouldn't matter, because media center is just xp with the media center features, right? Well, media center and home recording apparently don't go together except for a few rare cases where people got lucky. I did some searching and found that none of the interfaces by any company supports media center. If you have media center and want to record tracks to your pc, it's most likely not gonna work and if it does work it's probably not going to be very stable. I'm not willing to roll the dice with those kinds of odds.

So I figured, like the OP, I have no choice but to "downgrade" to XP Home from Media Center. I have no use at all for XP pro, I'm not using that pc for anything except recording and the occasional ripping/burning discs. So, as the OP asked, is there a way to downgrade the installed media center to what would be XP Home? Or do I need to install Home from a disc? By the way Yarko, I don't know about where you live but I see people selling legit copies of XP on Craigslist all the time. I'm looking at an ad right now for $60.

****Just found this and it might work for you Yarko....I'm gonna try it myself. http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/det...=media%20center

Edited by JohnnySixString

• 1 month later...