2203 error code installing dotNET 1.1?

I'm getting the error code 2203 when I try to install dotNET v1.1 on a Win2K machine. About 3/4

of the way thru the install it stops, gives the error code and starts uninstalling/rollingback the install.

The msi file name is always a different one.

Here's MSoft's KB article about it for Win XP Sp2, but the special hotfix doesn't apply to Win 2K.

Moreover, anybody have this patch for XP just in case it occurs their when I do the same for an XP machine

using the steps I did below?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888310

Here's how the problem came about.

1) installed Win 2K with sp4 and updated to all the latest KB fixes from MSoft update.

2) Installed dot Net 1.1 and dotNet 2.0 and their hotfixes.

3) Installed all MDAC versions to date at major release and service pack versions i.e. 2.53sp3, 2.6sp2-refresh, 2.7sp1-refresh etc note 2.8sp1...is for XP only

4) installed all MSXML versions to date starting at the major release and SP version 3.0sp7, 4.0sp2 , 6.0sp1 plus hotfixes

5) The MSoft MSBA v2.1 analyzer said that I had to reinstall some of the OS updates which I did.

6) dotNET 1.1 hotfixes had a problem, I then removed the hotfix and dotNET 1.1 and rebooted.

7) Tried to reinstall dotNET 1.1 and get the error described in the KB888310 article.

8) Can't reinstall dotNET 1.1 and patches for it. The only solution would be is to format the disk and start over without

installing the mdac and msxml versions and to rely on whatever MSoft put in these packages. :angry:

PS: I know that various s/w packages : WIN XP SP2, Office 2003, IE 6sp1 etc already install their [new] versions of

MDAC and MSXML. However, I wanted to make sure about MDAC and MSXML. The worst that could happen

is that the copy these other s/w packages install would either be overwritten with the same version or with a

newer version of the mdac/msxml software they require.

Anybody know of a Win2K special MSoft patch that will fix the problem similar to the one in MSOFT's KB article above?