Naming folders in Vista...

Br4tt3

Hi folks,

Sorry for this very n00b question but I am about to slit my wrists open..... I installed my Vista x64 machine, joined it to the domain, made myself a local admin, go into the C:\Program Files(x86) folder, right-click, new folder option, and the folder creates with the default "New Folder" name. No probs, so far...... right click the newly created folder and choose to rename it into something more usefull, like "ThaFolder" and then Vista reverts back to the "New Folder" name again? I can reproduce it on all of my machines..... I dont see the logic in this? I have access to create and delete folders, but not to rename them? I mean, it's not like if I am trying to rename C:\Windows into something else...

Checkign the ACL on the folders within C:\Program Files(x86) directory, I can see that built-in Admin does NOT have the delete permission on this folders, fine, that seems logical enough.... what I dont get is that since I am able to create folders, then I am the owner (creator) of the folder, deleting that very same folder would NOT pose a threat...

Any1 know why it behaves this way or how to go around it or modify its behaviour?

Edited by Br4tt3

I have the same prob with Vista Ult. x86. Apperently it has to do with file/folder permissions. The only fix I have managed to come up with is create a new user with Admin privaliges and migrate all your folders and files to it. I scoured the web for almost two days and changed every permission/setting possible and still could not fix the problem. The workaround does work though. Hope someone finds a solution soon.