WinPE 2 on Itanium

Hysteresis

Does anyone have a heads up on whether MS will release a version of the WAIK (i.e. Vista based WinPE) that supports the Itanium platform (IA64).

Although it looks like MS intended to support IA64 the current WAIK doesn't support it. Extract from WAIK readme:

"Windows PE IA64 architecture is not supported in the Windows Vista RTM release.

Current references to building Windows PE IA64 media in the documentation are not valid."

I guess it depends a lot on whether Vista ever gets ported to IA64.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

It is my understanding that this will be available in WinPE 2.1, which will support Longhorn Server (Windows Server 2008). Vista is a consumer level OS, not a server level OS, and Itaniums are server levels systems, so Vista will probably never run on Itanium.

Edited by jdanb

• 6 months later...
It is my understanding that this will be available in WinPE 2.1, which will support Longhorn Server (Windows Server 2008). Vista is a consumer level OS, not a server level OS, and Itaniums are server levels systems, so Vista will probably never run on Itanium.

Hi,

Is WinPE 2.1 will be available as separate version?. I feel WinPE 2.0 also support Windows server 2008.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) 1.1 Readme Document says

It Applies to:

* Windows Vista® Service Pack 1 (SP1)

* Windows Server® 2008

Is it version 2.1?

Spoke to MS dev team @ ITForum about it, dont know if it is going be named WinPE 2.1 but there will be a "new" WinPE for 2008 which has minor bug fixes, but no big feature supports compared to earlier releases. As the kernel of Vista + SP1 equals 2008 kernel, they will have to swoop up the entire platform, to one single code branch if I understood it correctly.

Spoke to MS dev team @ ITForum about it, dont know if it is going be named WinPE 2.1 but there will be a "new" WinPE for 2008 which has minor bug fixes, but no big feature supports compared to earlier releases. As the kernel of Vista + SP1 equals 2008 kernel, they will have to swoop up the entire platform, to one single code branch if I understood it correctly.

Thanks for your replay... I got a response from Microsoft as "WinPE 2.1 is released with the OPK 1.1 . The OPK/WAIK 1.1 and WinPE 2.1 are the same for Windows Server 2008. Currently the WS08 and accompanying OPK/WAIK RC are available on Connect."