Terminal Server setup

I am looking for a quick setup guide on how to setup a Terminal server with Load Balancing or Clustering.

We have a server which has 2 network cards, and on both servers the NIC's are configured with load balancing.

But when connecting to the inside Ip Adres of the Load Balancing adres I always get the same server, and on the other side when connecting it only work on one server.

Thanx

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i have the terminal servers working now, but. When configured NLB on both servers I am unable to ping the 1st server.

When disabling NLB on one server I am able to ping that server. Anyone knows what is causing this problem?

Thanx

If they're both configured unicast, and you of course have two network interfaces configured for the nlb cluster, the only other thing it could possibly be would be the metric on the interface itself, or the switch(es) the machines are attached to.

Is there anyone who has a short how to on setting up Terminal Server?

Both servers are working, but when configured WLBS on the second server Load Balancing is not working anymore.

Some questions:

1. NLB is only needed for two servers?

2. Do I need Session directory?

3. Do I need to configure Clustering?

Thanx

1. NLB is only needed if you want to set up session directory.

2. You don't need it for a TS farm specifically, but if you want users to be able to disconnect and reconnect to the same session every time, you will need to use it.

3. Terminal Services doesn't support clustering, only NLB/Session Directory.

If you're having NLB problems with your servers, make sure you've configured everything properly as per the TS Session Directory documentation.

If you've configured everything as per the documentation, but find that you cannot ping or connect to one (or both) servers after configuring NLB, then you have a problem with your switches not liking the fact that a unicast address is coming from a multicast MAC address, and you need to address this with the switch vendor themselves, or their documentation. In general, NLB works much better with managed switches than unmanaged, especially L2 unmanaged.