for /f "tokens=1,2,3 delims=: " %%a in ('time /t') do (
set hour=%%a
set min=%%b
set ampm=%%c
)
set /a min+=1
at %hour%:%min%%ampm% /interactive "c:\sysprep\sysprep.bat"
exit

p.p.s Also I need a script that changes the HAL to standard PC HAL. Writes a key in the runonce to a script which updates the hal after image deployment backup to the right hal.

And how do you propose that we detect what the correct HAl should be? I have yet to figure out a way to do this from a loaded version of XP. Everything I have tried always returns the installed HAl not the one it should be.

Got any suggestions?

I use this

@ECHO OFF
ECHO PRESS ANY KEY TO UPDATE HAL FOR YOU SYSTEM (SYSTEM WILL REBOOT AFTERWARDS)
pause

IF /I "%NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%"=="1" GOTO UNI
GOTO MULTI

:UNI
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL000 := +ACPIAPIC_UP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL000 := +ACPIAPIC_UP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe update %windir%\inf\hal.inf ACPIAPIC_UP
GOTO END

:MULTI
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL000 := !E_ISA_UP !ACPIPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_UP !ACPIAPIC_MP !MPS_UP !MPS_MP !SGI_MPS_MP !SYSPRO_MP !SGI_MPS_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\PCI_HAL000 := +ACPIAPIC_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe sethwid @ROOT\ACPI_HAL000 := +ACPIAPIC_MP
%WINDIR%\devcon.exe update %windir%\inf\hal.inf ACPIAPIC_MP

:END
ECHO YOUR SYSTEM WILL NOW REBOOT!
PAUSE
%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\SHUTDOWN.EXE /R /T 0

• 1 month later...

This was a really good thread! despite that I still have some problems!

I am working in a domain enviroment and have approx 12 different models of pc. My custom image works ok on most of these, however one model, IBM t43 laptop and some older IBM pcs dont work off the image. I think this is to do with the massStorageSection in my sysprep.inf as all the systems are acpi compliant.

Basically... Lets get this down to absolute basics. To make a universal image we have to sort out which HAL to use and get the massStorage Drivers sorted. correct?

If I leave my image on api uni processor and upgrade to Multi processor if required?

Secondly... if my T43 wont work due to MassStorage Drivers, where do I start to manually add the info in massStorage Section?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
p.p.s Also I need a script that changes the HAL to standard PC HAL. Writes a key in the runonce to a script which updates the hal after image deployment backup to the right hal.

And how do you propose that we detect what the correct HAl should be? I have yet to figure out a way to do this from a loaded version of XP. Everything I have tried always returns the installed HAl not the one it should be.

Got any suggestions?

If you're dealing solely with ACPI HAL computers, here's my suggestion:

First, detect processors using the following command line versions of Device Manager:

DEVCON find ACPI\GENUINEINTEL*

DEVCON find ACPI\AUTHENTICAMD*

The output of these commands will show you how many processors were found and info about each of them. This output can be fed into another script.

1.) use the PIC ACPI HAL by default (it seems to work on all the ACPI machines I've tried)

2.) enable multiprocessor APIC ACPI HAL on multiprocessor/multicore/hyperthreading computers

3.) enable uniprocessor APIC ACPI HAL on single processor computers supporting APIC. These are likely going to be the same motherboards as the used for the multiprocessor APIC ACPI HAL.

Choose option 2 whenever you detect multiple processors on any recent PC. Choose option 3 when you detect a recent vintage single processor (e.g. a Core architecture based Celeron).

I've read, but not verified, that Device Manager and DEVCON will not automatically detect/show multiple processors that are separate physical CPUs. (I.e. only multiple core CPUs will show their additional processors in Device Manager/Devcon before they're enabled.

Machines needing the non-ACPI HALs are not covered by the above, although they're going to be rare amongst any computer made since 2002.

P.S. The tool 'MySysprep' has some additional HAL changing capabilities you may be interested in. It lets you preconfigure which HAL to use on which computers. (This is a manual preconfigure, not an auto-detect of the proper HAL.) See http://mysysprep.freeforums.org/

P.P.S. My own experience is that the %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS% environment variable does not always show the correct number, at least on some dual-core computers. I don't know about true dual-processor computers.

Edited by hkazemi