Answer file for Custom WIM

I am working on our Vista Image, I have a machine with Vista x86 Enterprise loaded on it -- with some apps also. I ran the command to sysprep the box:

sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

The booted up into my WinPE CD and ran ImageX to create the WIM file. So now I am a little confused on how to create an answer file that calls my custom wim file to do an unatteneded install.

Any help would be GREAT :thumbup

There are a number of way to achieve this...

Are you deploying from server, DVD or from WIM direct

My experience is that you use the WAIK to develop a new unattend.xml / autounattend.xml. If you are deploying using Imagex then you do not need to use a answer file as all your answers are set within the genralised caputred WIM.

If you are using windows setup the you can use setup.exe and specify the answer file from the command line. Bear in mind that if you use setup to deploy you have to make sure that you have set the /flags variable correctly when you captured otherwise windows setup will not deploy the image. Also the WIM has to be renamed to install.wim and placed in the sources folder for this to work.

From CD/DVD you put the autounattend.xml onto the root of the disk. Once again the WIM will have to be renamed to install.wim and placed in the sources folder. Also the ISO has to be built using the oscdimg tool supplied as a part of the WAIK.

Alternatively you can look at BDD and automate the whole setup from within it. You can push the image out using PXE and WINPE 2.0 - not too familiar with this.

I hope this has provided some insight.

Gwido