.htaccess issues

its definatly not pretty, i never said it was :)

thats the last of my worries. ill get that done during the summer.

basically i had to get all of the coding done to make things happen, that is basically all done now so now its time to get to the design.

ya i will be getting rid of those frames. i dont like frames either. ill get it into a table with some php includes.

no personal website. ive always wanted to do one but i have no clue what to put on it..

and the only part of the site i didnt make was the home page. i have 40+ pages in the whole site, lots of admin related stuff. mostly php+mysql.

the main point of the site is to make is 10000% times easier for my coach to get the entries into a meet. he's the meet timer. it also makes it alot easier for coaches.

if you guys have any suggestions on design, please let me know. i really have till november to get this done. this site was meant for indoor track for the upcoming winter. but i decided to get a head start on it and i got it up in time to use for some outdoor meets.

Holy crap dude... make a smaller version of the steeple_plunge.jpg image for the main page. It's painfully slow to load. If you're not at a loss for disk space (which you're not), you can easily afford to make a few thumbnails of the images, instead of forcing the user to load the whole image.

Oh... and tables are still the old way of doing things. div's are where it's at. ;)

And the color scheme of the site is...well... lacking. :P

lol. the pic i know! my coach does the main page, so he obviously screwed that one up! its loads instantly for me but but its still huge.

i know the colors suck, as i already said, design is my last concern. and if you have any recomendations, please let me know.

and not that i beleive i am done with the coding, ill start to make it look nice, now to start with that homepage!

edit: well see the reason i used frames is because of the target=

i didnt want to type out a table/div in every page

Edited by ripken204

edit: well see the reason i used frames is because of the target=

i didnt want to type out a table/div in every page

Not sure I understand that comment, but I take it to mean you don't want to have to put that... thing that's in the left frame on every single page? I would just use a simple php include or SSI include. Instead of a frame, have

<?php require("menu.html") ?>

on each page, but modify menu.html to be a big div and use CSS float to put it on the left, make it # pixels wide and then have the body of each page have a left margin of that same number of pixels plus an extra five or so. Or maybe you were talking about something totally different and didn't need to read that. :rolleyes: At any rate, I'd say get rid of the frames ASAP because they get really annoying. Especially when you want to bookmark a page. Does anyone know how MS technet manages frames so gracefully? Somehow that URL always changes to the correct one even when in frames, and the frames stay there. They made it work somehow...

COLORS!! You need them. I don't like sites where it's all eye-sorish and hard to read and too bright but you really need to spruce it up. Keep up your good work - you can do it!

Yeah, tables are old-fashioned. They're easier sometimes, but divs are better by far. Now that CSS is supported by almost all major browsers, things are waaay easier.

Edit:

Whoa! What's with the source of home.php? You have all these really, really looooooonnnnnngggg spaces of blankness. Why?! It makes it very hard to look at the source code successfully. :}

Edited by Idontwantspam

good ideas there, thx. i was going to use php include, whats the difference with require?

and again my coach does the home.php! lol

he uses some s***ty web editor which causes all of those spaces

why exactly are frames annoying? i dont want ppl to be able to bookmark things since most of the site requires someone to be logged in.

Edited by ripken204

Frames have always p***** me off. Because the thing is when you're using frames, you technically on the same page the whole time. So if you nned to bookmark, you're bookmarking the frame page, and the bookmark will just go to the home page. Also, if you refresh the page, then you will not be where you were, you will be refreshing the frame page and therefore be sent right back to where you were. They have a habit of messing up the back button, and when you have external links, if the target="_self", then you will still have the frame - and people don't want your frame while surfing all of the web. They just cause more problems than they're worth. On the other hand, with PHP includes, you have the same content on each and every page, but you're actually on that page.

The include() Function

The include() function takes all the text in a specified file and copies it into the file that uses the include function.

The require() Function

The require() function is identical to include(), they only handle errors differently.

The include() function generates a warning (but the script will continue execution) while the require() function generates a fatal error (and the script execution will stop after the error).

my source.

I prefer using require() because... I dunno, I just do. I guess I figure if that part of the page is gone, I need to have the whole page stop.

Frames are just bad from a "completeness" POV. They break up what should be a single webpage into multiple parts that don't connect like you'd expect them to.

Like idontwantspam said, you can use the require() or include() functions to "insert" portions of the page. You should have a look at how a system like WordPress does the majority of it's page layouts. It's simple and elegant and much nicer than frames.

Tables are also considered bad, since they use a surprising amount of computing power to render. Not that it's really a problem with today's computers, but why waste CPU cycles when you don't need to?

well i do use php include for basically every page to include a config file.

i still dont see any negatives on frames tho.. refreshing does not bring me back to the home page for my site..

and like i said i dont want ppl to be able to bookmark, the only things i would want them to bookmark would be 1 click away from the homepage.

i can see how it goes against completeness, thats about it.

i will prolly end up doing divs but that will come at a later time.

Edited by ripken204

You can't stop people from bookmarking, and if you don't want them to be able to access certain parts of your site, then that's your responsibility to ensure, and not by preventing them from bookmarking the page. Using proper cookies or sessions (or whatever other method you choose) should be the first of your priorities in that department.

One option you have that's pretty simple is to use a session variable. If the homepage has been visited, then they have access to whatever sites you choose. If they haven't (if they're coming from a bookmark for example), the other page redirects them to the homepage. It's simple and prevents them from directly accessing the sub-pages of your site.

Refreshing framed pages might not take you back to the homepage in Opera, but it does in IE and FF (the last time I checked). Frames are old, sloppy, and are only permitted in the Frameset DTD (not Traditional or Strict - the better choices for browser compatibility).

You should probably get firefox. Not to use necessarily, but at least to test your pages on. It's one of the most-used browsers on the 'net. I test in IE, FF and Opera. But yeah, using frames to prevent bookmarking = :no: In firefox, it's easy enough to right-click > this frame > bookmark this frame. Then, they come back, and the left frame's gone... you see what I mean. It gets all screwed up. Maybe try to convince whoever's doing the home page to do it differently?