Possible Vista/DX10 problem?

Venerate

When I was about to play CS:S one day, I got ingame and noticed that the graphics were..distorted, shall we say. I didn't know what the problem was, so I checked my other games to see if they worked. Games like WoW and Battlefield 2 had the same problem, yet Stepmania didn't, so that led me to think that maybe it was a problem with DirectX. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and my graphics card is a GeForce 6600 (which as far as I know supports DX10). I've tried everything I can think of, short of reinstalling Vista: reinstalling my graphics drivers, cleaning the graphics card, and making sure it's properly seated. In my dxdiag there's no tabs for DirectX info, which I recall there being when I had DX9.0c installed before I got Vista. The only advice other people have been able to give me is to buy a new graphics card, which I can't really afford.

I've attached a picture of the problem, any ideas?

post-138797-1178842952_thumb.jpg

it most likely a Video driver issue, not DX 10 CS:S, BF2, WOW are all DX 9 games, they don't have DX 10 patches yet, Only 8000 series videos support Dx10, currently there aren't any DX 10 games out :) soon though, most likely you are seeming artifacts from the Revamp of the video system and the Nvdia drivers not up to snuff, the driver revision do you have?

I redownloaded the latest 32-bit Vista nVidia drivers from their website.

Driver version is 7.15.11.5818, and the driver date (which I assumes means when it was released) is 12/04/2007.

I know someone running a GeForce 6200 on Vista, but he doesn't get this problem on WoW.

As I said, I've installed the latest drivers from the nVidia site. That link you posted is to the latest drivers. Basically what I'm saying is, I've already got those drivers installed.

Either driver or hardware issue - if alternative versions of the nVidia drivers don't help, I would suspect the card might be overheating or faulty.

I bought a 6800LE ages ago as an upgrade and the logon screen for WoW looked exactly as you posted, it was a faulty card.

(I tried various different drivers and the symptoms changed slightly but the problem did not go away - it affects some games but not others, I guess it depends on what is being requested of the GPU.)

The thing is, it was working fine up until one day, I hadn't installed anything new or anything like that, the graphics were just like that. It can't be overheating, since I've cleaned the fans recently, then left my computer off for a day. I ran WoW as soon as I next booted the computer; nothing changed. So it's not faulty, maybe it just broke.

there is always the chance that the card is going bad, possibly a capacitor or something else on the card is going bad. this fit well with how you say it just started one day. hard to say, a quick way to tell if it is the video card would be swap it out with another card or test that card in anothe rmachine and see if the same issue can be recreated with that card in another machine

Had this problem when I overclocked my 7800GS. Screen looked very much like yours, but not that bad.

If you're overclocking, obviously go back to stock speeds and see if it still occurs. If you're not overclocking, and since overheating was ruled out, then the card may indeed be dying. But there's still things you can try if you haven't.

Update DX9 in Vista, as unless you have a DX10 card and a DX10 programmed game, you will only be using Vista's DX9.

DirectX9.0c Web Installer

nVidia's new installers fully remove the older versions of the drivers, so the driver cleaning program is obsolete now. If the problem still persists hit ctrl+shift+esc to open Task Manager, go to the Services tab and stop the "Desktop Window Session Manager" and "Themes" services. Load up the game and see if you still get artifacts. If so, revert what you did.

Can't really think of anything else other than running a full Disk Check (chkdsk), which probably won't do anything, and dusting out your entire PC if you haven't already, while checking all the connections.

Also it wouldn't hurt to try the beta drivers released to fix an SLI bug, even if you don't use SLI.

Hopefully this helps you, in some way.

Edited by Departed