An Alternative Hotfix Guide

Nope, this is before I patch any system files. You should get the same mesage, don't you? I did add some themes and wallpaper during the install - in anticipation of patching later. I tried it on another system, installed the old fashion way - with just slipstreamed SP1 -- and all the patches installed by Windows Update. Same message!

It does not report anything about replacing any files after the scan. If you scan again, it asks for the CD again - every time. I have come to the conclusion that it's a bug perhaps related to the way we are installing the hotfixes. I don't think it means anything is really wrong, but I think it's a bad idea to do it unless there is a real problem that you hope to fix. I found many places that advise against running SFC and say that if you do, you should reinstall your hotfixes.

must be a problem with sfc if it does it when you used windows update for the hotfixes.. or maybe just a feature of sfc that it requires a cd to run.. doesnt seem to change anything.. didnt even pick up on my modified uxtheme.dll.. ive disabled wfp here and saved 350mb's :)

Hi

I came along this thread when trying to create my own Post Service Pack Updater.

What i want to do: Create a Batch File to start a Setup Routine (unattended) for all the Hotfixes for WinXP. It should run under XP itself. I don't want to realise it with a CD.

My aim: 1 doubleclick on that file, go for a coffee and after a while come back to find the XP System up to date.

I used your script written on the first Thread Page, adjusted it to my needs and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately this didn't help anything (crossing fingers :) )

The first Update starts, but after about 10 seconds the the 2nd Update starts too which is far too soon. In the end nothing is installed.

Could somebody of you please tell me how to solve my problem?

Or isn't it even possible to do this type of unatended Post Service Pack Update when XP is already installed?

At last one question to the /wait command. Does the /wait command really wait until the first Update is completely installed? Because if so it would seem as if my first Update wouldn't even install properly.

So please help.

Big Thx in advance

Give this a go...

@echo off
TITLE Hotfix Installation Script - by Donald Freeman
echo Collecting list of current hotfixes...
  echo @echo off>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
  echo echo Please wait while current hotfixes are being installed. This may take awhile!!!>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd

for /f %%i IN ('dir %systemdrive%\hotfixes\1 /b') Do @echo start "" /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\1\%%i /passive /norestart>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
  for /f %%i IN ('dir %systemdrive%\hotfixes\2 /b') Do @echo start "" /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\2\%%i /q /r:n>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
  for /f %%i IN ('dir %systemdrive%\hotfixes\3 /b') Do @echo start "" /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\3\%%i -u -n -z>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
  for /f %%i IN ('dir %systemdrive%\hotfixes\4 /b') Do @echo start "" /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\4\%%i /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd

echo echo - Completed>>%systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
  echo exit>>%systemdrive%\files\hotfixes\recommended\hotfixinst.cmd
echo - Completed
echo.
START "" /wait %systemdrive%\hotfixes\hotfixinst.cmd
shutdown.exe -r -t 10 -f -c "PC must reboot to make changes.  This is part of the unattended installation.  Please do not disturb."
:end
exit

Place hotfixes in the directories accoring to the switches needed to install...

1 = /passive /norestart

2 = /q /r:n

3 = -u -n -z

4 = /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

c:\hotfixes

|

\--4

There ya go!

• 2 weeks later...
thanks westi :rolleyes: was looking for that regkey.. good man

heres the syntax for your reg tweaks file

; switch rpc failure to no reboot
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs]
"FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,53,00,65,\
 00,00,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,00,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,00,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00

Just curious, what other tweaks do you include in your registry file?

Also, is there a complete guide here on the site about using GuiRunOnce, or is this basically it?

Thanks! :)

• 6 months later...