Problem Copying or Writing to external drives

Glenda

When I try to save or copy a large file to an external hard drive, it begins the process, but about half way through it says invalid file and fails to see the drive at all until I turn off and restart the drive.

It almost seems like the copy or write process times itself out - it happens during the write to cd process or copying to external drive. Sometimes it says that it failed in the process, but when the drive is restarted, the file is there. I seem to think another related problem is that when I delete files, it deletes them and then leaves the question "are you sure". If I say yes, its like -files not there. Almost like the computer is blind

Has Microsoft recently created an update that may have caused the problem? I do know that my computer keeps asking for a larger usb connection, but the one I have has worked all along until now.

Somehow it all feels related -can someone help?

When I try to save or copy a large file to an external hard drive, it begins the process, but about half way through it says invalid file and fails to see the drive at all until I turn off and restart the drive.

It almost seems like the copy or write process times itself out - it happens during the write to cd process or copying to external drive. Sometimes it says that it failed in the process, but when the drive is restarted, the file is there. I seem to think another related problem is that when I delete files, it deletes them and then leaves the question "are you sure". If I say yes, its like -files not there. Almost like the computer is blind

Has Microsoft recently created an update that may have caused the problem? I do know that my computer keeps asking for a larger usb connection, but the one I have has worked all along until now.

Somehow it all feels related -can someone help?

The nag about not having USB 2.0? That's a feature that was introduced in Windows XP SP2 (or SP1).

If you plug in a newer USB device into a USB port in USB 1.1 mode, Windows will nag you about plugging it into a USB port that's in USB 2.0 mode.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

No updates should have affected file copy from or to USB devices - have you tried uninstalling any antivirus / antispyware products, running autoruns and shellexview to disable all non-Microsoft items, reboot, and try again to see if it still happens?

► Diagnosis:

• To confirm if it's a software or hardware issue, boot from a Linux LiveCD (Eg: Knoppix) and try copying large files and/or deleting files. If you're able to do so without any problems, then its a Windows issue.

► If it's a Windows issue:

▪ Possible solution 1:

• Click on Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel).

• Double-click on System, then open the Hardware tab.

• Click Device Manager.

• Click the + at Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

• Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.

• Open the Power Management tab.

• Clear the checkmark from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

• Click OK.

• Repeat the above steps for all the rest of the Root Hubs.

▪ Possible solution 2:

• Open Device Manager.

• Click the + at Disk Drives.

• Right-click your external drive and select Properties.

• Open the Policies tab.

• Make sure "Optimize for quick removal" is checked, and toggle the option "Enable write caching".

▪ Possible solution 3:

• Unplug all USB devices.

• Open Device Manager.

• Uninstall all your external USB drives. (will be shown under the appropriate device type)

• Uninstall all your Root Hubs.

• Uninstall all your USB Host Controllers.

• Open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall any related software/drivers. [if present]

• Reboot and let windows re-detect all your USB Controllers and Hubs

• Reboot again, and connect your external devices.

► If it's a Hardware issue:

• You need to confirm if it's a problem with your PC or the device itself. Connect the drive to some other computer and try the same procedure there. If you're getting errors on the other computer too, then it's a fault in the device.

► If its a problem in the device, try changing the USB cable and/or the power supply. If that doesn't work, then it could be a chipset problem- send the drive for repairs/replacement.

► If its a problem with your PC, try getting a USB 2.0 PCI Card and connect your drives to it. If its a problem with your onboard USB controller, then the connecting it to thru the card should solve the problem.

deXter

I have not had the time to go through the steps yet.

Regarding the first step - ► Diagnosis:

• To confirm if it's a software or hardware issue, boot from a Linux LiveCD (Eg: Knoppix) and try copying large files and/or deleting files. If you're able to do so without any problems, then its a Windows issue.

Do I go, download the entire file and burn a cd. Then boot? CD writer is external and is one of the things that hangs up or times out.

deXter

I have not had the time to go through the steps yet.

Regarding the first step - ► Diagnosis:

Do I go, download the entire file and burn a cd. Then boot? CD writer is external and is one of the things that hangs up or times out.

Download the entire file, open it with a burning program like Nero, and burn it. Do not burn the image itself! (ie, do not start a new compilation and drag-drop the image).

If you're having problems doing it on your PC, you should do it at some other PC, like at a public internet cafe.

I had the same problem. I think your PC is too fast for your external hard drive, i.e. you are using a USB2 port on your PC and your external hard drive is USB 1.1.

To prove my theory I plugged my external drive into my PC via a USB 1.1 hub which I just happened to have lying around. This slowed the file transfer down and after that everything went perfectly. It was a bit of a pain, I thought my external drive unit was USB 2.0 but obviously not so. In fact the problem only showed itself when I was transferring large files, small ones managed to get across the link OK.

Solution: get yourself a USB 1.1 hub, they are as cheap as chips.