Office 2007 Portable

Idontwantspam

I've heard rumors about a "portable" version of Office 2007 that you put on a USB stick or CD and can run from any XP computer. Has anyone heard of this? Does anyone know if this is a real, legal Microsoft product that is available for sale somewhere? Because if it is, I could sure use it! It sounds suspicious, and the MS website doesn't appear to say anything about it. :unsure: Anyone else have any info?

Real or not real? That's an easy question. Yes, it's real. Both 2003 and 2007 have been made portable. Actually, it's called virtualized.

Legal or not legal? That's a tough one. Software called Thinstall Virtualization Suite is used to create virtual registries to make software portable. Many applications have been made portable with this software. Now, if you make your own Office with Thinstall, I suppose it's legal.

Search for Thinstall and they have a demo video of portable office 2003 on their website. I don't know how MS likes that idea or not but Thinstall is certainly touting it.

Portable Office 2007 is real things. It is not legal but i found this on some forum. Folder contains 7 files:

Excel.exe

Msaccess.exe

Mstore.exe

Offdiag.exe

Ois.exe

Powerpnt.exe

Winword.exe

All together is 519,0 MB big. Works perfectly. I got this info also to MS people on one conference for system builders and also gave him link to this file. From this time MS have also this portable Office 2k7. They was realy surprised. :-)

How many files it has depends on what programs you wish to virtualize. If you choose just word, powerpoint, and excel, then you'll end up with 4 - offdiag.exe being the 4th since it's always installed.

You can find this on the many torrent sites. However, note what has already been mentioned about the licensing. If you use your own copy, thinstall it and carry it with you to use when you aren't using your main copy, the spirit of your license is problably intact. Don't know if MS condone it, though. You can always ask.

Just a thought. You might also think about using open source software for this purpose. Open Office is legally portable and is very compatible with Word doc formats.