Help me figure out S3 Standby

aresgodofwar

I have an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. Windows XP Pro.

I have configured wake on lan in the bios and in XP. On the properties page of the network adapter in the device manager, I go to the power management tab and check Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby. and Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby.

Then I put the computer in standby. everything shuts off including the fans, so I know the computer is in S3. When trying to use RDC to remotely wake, then access the computer, it does not wake. I have to send a WOL packet to wake it up, then use RDC. If I remove the check from Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby. then I can wake the computer using only RDC, but if I don't use RDC immediately, something else is waking the computer and I don't know what it is. Sometimes it immediately wakes back up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes.

I thought the problem was coming from one of my usb devices, so I found a registry hack to suppress any usb devices from waking the computer.

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]

"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

After this was enabled, when I put the computer into standby, nothing would wake it, even pressing the power button.

Then I downloaded dumppo.exe from the ftp.microsoft.com site and ran dumppo.exe ac

It provided a lot of output and the minimum and maximum power state to be S3.

Can RDC even wake the computer from S3, or will I need to use a WOL packet every time?