How can I stop the default icons on first use of Quick Launch?

kenmurton

Can anyone tell me how to prevent the system generating the 'Internet explorer' and 'Show Desktop' icons on first use of Quick Launch?

Currently I am merging the "TaskbarWinXP" reg entries into the Default User, Ntuser.dat file and creating a quick launch folder (with the shortcut icons I want) in the default profile so that all new user profiles start showing Quick Launch and the desired icons.

Thanx

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the program you want to add, and then drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the taskbar located next to the Start button.

The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch icons on the taskbar.

Notes

If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.

If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and do not see the Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.

if you want to remove any icon in the quick launch you can simply right-click on the icon itself and delete it from the quick launch

i advice you to search in the help and support Center found in your system, it will help you alot.

best wishes

Edited by sofolo

Thanks uid0

I've already tried this approach and it works well until it is used at new user, first logon, (runonce added to Default user NTUSER.DAT) The the icon shows (but is inactive) at first logon and disappears for subsequent logons.

I've found the following registry entry that, when merged into Default User ntuser.dat with the 'TaskbarWinXP' entry, stops the system generated shortcuts.

[HKEY_USERS\ntuser\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}]

"Version"="6,0,2900,2180"

"Locale"="en"

Where ntuser = the name given to ntuser.dat when loaded into the registry editor

:thumbup

Edited by kenmurton