unattended from usb key doesn't find answerfile ...

Hello all,

I've made a successful unattended vista dvd that works on every machine... but when I transferred it to a USB key, on some machines it works fine, but on others it doesn't (it stops on the regional settings page, so it doesn't find autounattend.xml)

I tried putting the file(autounattend.xml) in the root of the usb key and also in the sources folder! Any other suggestion???

Thanks.

Hello xochipilli,

I found out, that it can take - depending on system - up to 20 seconds untill USB stick is mounted durign PE pass. So in worst case it can happen, that setup is started already and has looked for Autounattend.xml before the USB stick is mounted.

To toubleshoot that you need to adpat boot.wim and put in a cmd that loops for a while. So system has enough time to "wait" for the stick. Look here to get an idea what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Martin

You're right xochipilli!

I've answerd without thinking! :rolleyes:

Where is your Autounattend.xml located? In the root? Than you could try to move it into sources folder? There are seven further locations where you could put it into. Look here on MS TechNet for more information:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

May be one of these locations will work better for you.

Regards,

Martin

Hi xochipilli!

I had the same problem. I think some USB sticks do not fit with some motherboards usb legacy support.

I tried to install a FSC Computer unattended from dvd and a FSC USB stick. Every thing went fine. Then, one day, I forgot my stick and I tryed another one, with the same Computer, the same DVD and the same unattend.xml. Nothing happens. The installation did not find the unattend.xml and stops at the very first installation-dialog.

Sorry, can´t give you any help, but this hint.

Regards,

Matze