Using Sysprep twice on the same system

I've noticed an issue that is sort of strange. If I install Vista EE fresh I can sysprep the system with no issues. After I have rebooted and the system comes back up like it was just freshly imaged if I then try to run sysprep on the system again it always fails. I don't have the error codes, but they are similar to this: www.vista64.net/forums/vista-installation-setup/8854-sysprep-failure.html. Does anyone know why you can't run Sysprep on a system that has been imaged? By the way the sysprep command I use in both cases is the following:

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:c:\sysprep.xml

If you're wondering why I run sysprep twice is because the first time I get an image of the base Vista install, and the second time is after I have installed all the applications.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Nebruin

I don't think you can run this command twice as you have it listed. The /oobe sets up the image to run oobe (Windows Welcome) as if you were a customer powering on the computer for the first time.

I believe you can break into this image by using the Ctrl + Shift + F3 key sequence when the first oobe screen appears (Set up Location screen)

Or try this option when you build your image:

1. Install Vista OS.

2. Run sysprep /generalize /audit /unattend:---- /shutdown --> Capture this generalized image for future image building.

3. Power unit back on and enter Audit mode. Install applications &/or verify integrity of the system/OS.

4. Run sysprep /generalize /oobe /unattend:---- /shutdown --> Capture this image and deploy.

Hope this helps.

Shawn

Edited by shawn1024

I ran into a similar problem, except for it was after the 3rd sysprep. The reason is that when you run sysprep it automatically uses the -rearm. You can only -rearm a pc 3 times. The workaround is either have an active KMS environment or add skiprearm to your unattend. when doing iterative builds during development, you can continue to sysprep an image multiple times when using SKIPREARM and the only limitation will be the 30-day grace period for activation. Once you have an image that you are ready to actually deploy, the last sysprep should be done without the SKIPREARM parameter.