ANSWER FILE NOT WORKING

Hello,

Trying to get RIS working. Read heaps but getting just a little frustrated to say the least.

I can successfully get windows copied over to the client, but nothing in my answer file is being used.

I am assuming the nic driver is successful because the installation actually happens, but when it has loaded windows, the ethernet driver in device manager shows as not loaded (is this normal)

I think my answer file is correct and my directories are sweet. There was a readme in the device driver folder for the NIC and I followed that to a T, and I even rearranged it trying to get it to work.

Any ideas guys.

The PC is a Compaq dc7700

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\NIC"

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

[userData]

FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"

OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"

ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%

ProductKey = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%

AdminPassword = "*"

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 16

XResolution = 800

YResolution = 600

VRefresh = 60

[Networking]

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = Yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]

Description = "Windows Professional"

Help = "This will install Windows Professional in a standard configuration."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType = "Flat"

Edited by rotoitiman

The nic i am using is an onboard intel, not sure what version or how I even find this answer but this is the readme that was included in the driver installation folder.

Using server2003 and RIPREP works fine, but really need RIS to be working in the next 2 weeks...

Thanks for any help given, much appreciated.

Setting up Intel® PRO/1000 Drivers for RIS Installation

======================================================

To set up network drivers for RIS installation, you must copy files from the Intel® PRO Network Connections Software CD to the RIS image [iMAGE_ROOT]. Follow the directions for your operating system.

Microsoft* Windows* 2000

========================

1. Create an [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory if one does not already exist.

2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.

3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [iMAGE_ROOT]\I386\Templates directory):

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic

4. Copy all .SYS files from PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.

5. Extract the .INF files from PRO1000\Win32\RIS_INF\E1000NT5.ZIP and E1E5032.ZIP to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory.

6. Restart the Boot Information Negotiation Layer service.

7. Follow the rest of the Microsoft instructions for adding a new network driver to the RIS installation.

Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft* Windows Server* 2003 (32-bit)

==================================================================

1. Create an [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory if one does not already exist.

2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.

3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [iMAGE_ROOT]\I386\Templates directory):

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

4. Copy all .SYS files from PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.

5. Extract the .INF files from PRO1000\Win32\RIS_INF\E1000325.ZIP and E1E5132.zip to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory.

6. Restart the Remote Installation Service.

7. Follow the rest of the Microsoft instructions for adding a new network driver to the RIS installation.

Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition and

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-bit Edition

=============================================

2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Win64 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.

3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [iMAGE_ROOT]\ia64\Templates directory):

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

4. Copy all .SYS files from the PRO1000\Win64 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\ia64 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.

5. Extract the .INF file from PRO1000\Win64\RIS_INF\E1000645.ZIP to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\ia64 directory.

Microsoft Windows XP x64 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64

==============================================================

2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Winx64 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.

3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [iMAGE_ROOT]\amd64\Templates directory):

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

4. Copy all .SYS files from the PRO1000\Winx64 directory to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\amd64 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.

5. Extract the .INF files from PRO1000\Winx64\RIS_INF\E1G5132E.ZIP and E1E5132E.zip to the [iMAGE_ROOT]\amd64 directory.

Copyright © 2006 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel is a trademark or registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 1 month later...

Well, first of all, get the correct drivers for the NIC.

Copy the drivers into below 2 locations.

1. "Drivers\NIC"

2. Windows installation source for RIS (i386 folder)

Restart the BINL (Remote Installation Service).

This should work. Reach me on viralpatadiya@gmail.com

Hello,

Trying to get RIS working. Read heaps but getting just a little frustrated to say the least.

I can successfully get windows copied over to the client, but nothing in my answer file is being used.

I am assuming the nic driver is successful because the installation actually happens, but when it has loaded windows, the ethernet driver in device manager shows as not loaded (is this normal)

I think my answer file is correct and my directories are sweet. There was a readme in the device driver folder for the NIC and I followed that to a T, and I even rearranged it trying to get it to work.

Any ideas guys.

The PC is a Compaq dc7700

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\NIC"

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

[userData]

FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"

OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"

ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%

ProductKey = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%

AdminPassword = "*"

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 16

XResolution = 800

YResolution = 600

VRefresh = 60

[Networking]

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = Yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]

Description = "Windows Professional"

Help = "This will install Windows Professional in a standard configuration."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType = "Flat"

• 1 month later...

During the copy process the nic driver is loaded from several areas. One is the REMINST\Setup\English\Images\WINDOWS\i386 directory, another is the $OEM$\drivers\NIC directory where the image's sif file points to. If this is not setup correctly then the image will copy to the hard drive using the driver from the windows\i386 directory but after restart will be unable to use the NIC driver from the $OEM$ directory.

You need the .cat .sys and .inf/.pnf (pnf in the windows\i386 directory, read the sticky ris document if you need help on .pnf files) in these locations to work properly.

Before you start scrutinizing the contents of the sif file I would make sure that the drivers are working properly.