plss help me about copy protection ?

ocen

I've thought of two solutions, both of which can be implemented using scripts.

Method I:

-----------

This method prevents the user from copying anything from the server to the removable drive. For this to work properly:

- You should only use a Limited account. All Administrator accounts must be password protected.

- You need to set the Desktop and most areas as read only or restricted. You can allow My Documents and maybe a few other folders write access.

- You may optionally disable the command prompt.

Once that is done, here's how it works:

- If the server folder is open and a writable folder is opened (eg: My documents), then the server window is closed automatically.

- If the server folder is open and a file copy dialog is active, then the file copying is cancelled.

- If the clipboard contains a path to a file or folder on the server, then the clipboard is cleared.

- Optionally, the save function for some programs like Media Player may be disabled.

Logic: The logic here is that people usually copy files in two ways - by drag-drop across two windows or by Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V. When the server window and a writable window are open at the same time, then its obvious that the user wants to copy files. The server window is closed instantly. When the program detects that the clipboard contains paths to the server (as a result of Ctrl+C) then it clears it so that the user won't be able to paste.

Limitations: The user can still copy files using a non standard way, say by running a pre-made script/program meant for copying files.

Method II:

------------

This method deletes any illegal files found on a removable drive

Requirements:

- All files on the server must be organised properly, ie, MP3s MUST be in a proper MP3 folder, Videos must be only in a Video folder, and so on. Basically the script should know where a particular file exists on the server without having to do a search. -or- you can maintain a list/database of all files that you're sharing.

Working:

The script will constantly monitor the files on any removable drive. If any new files have been copied, it'll check if those files exist on the server. If the file is present on the server, the script will immediately delete it.

Limitations:

There may be problems using the "Safely remove hardware" feature- since the script is constantly monitoring the drive, Windows will think its in use and will not able to safely remove. This however can be countered by making the user click a different icon that'll temporarily stop monitoring the drive- the user will have to use that icon to safely remove the drive. Another limitation is that since the file is deleted, it could be undeleted using recovery software. To prevent that from happening the script can securely erase the file- this may mean while the script is busy erasing the files, the user may pull out the drive and be able to recover those that haven't been fully erased.

Edited by [deXter]

Why don't you run Windows from a CD image, retract the drive a little, put in a blank front and go. There is commercial ware to block USB drives (drivelock I believe) and your image stays OK, your functionality also.

Jules

Why don't you run Windows from a CD image, retract the drive a little, put in a blank front and go. There is commercial ware to block USB drives (drivelock I believe) and your image stays OK, your functionality also.

Jules

He doesn't want to block the drives, he just wants to prevent his files from being copied.

Edited by [deXter]

I've thought of two solutions, both of which can be implemented using scripts.

Method I:

-----------

This method prevents the user from copying anything from the server to the removable drive. For this to work properly:

- You should only use a Limited account. All Administrator accounts must be password protected.

- You need to set the Desktop and most areas as read only or restricted. You can allow My Documents and maybe a few other folders write access.

- You may optionally disable the command prompt.

Once that is done, here's how it works:

- If the server folder is open and a writable folder is opened (eg: My documents), then the server window is closed automatically.

- If the server folder is open and a file copy dialog is active, then the file copying is cancelled.

- If the clipboard contains a path to a file or folder on the server, then the clipboard is cleared.

- Optionally, the save function for some programs like Media Player may be disabled.

Logic: The logic here is that people usually copy files in two ways - by drag-drop across two windows or by Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V. When the server window and a writable window are open at the same time, then its obvious that the user wants to copy files. The server window is closed instantly. When the program detects that the clipboard contains paths to the server (as a result of Ctrl+C) then it clears it so that the user won't be able to paste.

Limitations: The user can still copy files using a non standard way, say by running a pre-made script/program meant for copying files.

Method II:

------------

This method deletes any illegal files found on a removable drive

Requirements:

- All files on the server must be organised properly, ie, MP3s MUST be in a proper MP3 folder, Videos must be only in a Video folder, and so on. Basically the script should know where a particular file exists on the server without having to do a search. -or- you can maintain a list/database of all files that you're sharing.

Working:

The script will constantly monitor the files on any removable drive. If any new files have been copied, it'll check if those files exist on the server. If the file is present on the server, the script will immediately delete it.

Limitations:

There may be problems using the "Safely remove hardware" feature- since the script is constantly monitoring the drive, Windows will think its in use and will not able to safely remove. This however can be countered by making the user click a different icon that'll temporarily stop monitoring the drive- the user will have to use that icon to safely remove the drive. Another limitation is that since the file is deleted, it could be undeleted using recovery software. To prevent that from happening the script can securely erase the file- this may mean while the script is busy erasing the files, the user may pull out the drive and be able to recover those that haven't been fully erased.

we can't create account.coz we are controlling computer with 3rd part program like eascafe... when I restart computer and when it will come to login panel then ?

and we can't not do mp3 delete system.. I mean when they wanna download some music from friends? or something about music?

Jules

we can't do that my friends.. I explain in above...

Or even better, run a Linux image and lock it down for free.

our guest they don't know very well to use XP. how they will use Linux?

He doesn't want to block the drives, he just wants to prevent his files from being copied.

yes right.. thanks for explain...

any suggestion ?

we can't create account.coz we are controlling computer with 3rd part program like eascafe... when I restart computer and when it will come to login panel then ?

I don't know about eascafe, but other remote programs like ultravnc can be installed as services- you can even see and operate the login screen remotely.

and we can't not do mp3 delete system.. I mean when they wanna download some music from friends? or something about music?

The mp3s/files aren't deleted directly, they're first checked with the server. If the same file exists on the server, only then its deleted. It wont delete the users files. Please read my post again, carefully. Also, you don't have to do the whole delete method, you can follow method I in which files aren't deleted.

Edited by [deXter]

I mean sometimes guest's coming and they are putting them ipod,mp3 player,usb hdd to computer and they are copying movies, mp3, illegal things.. we don't wanna let them copying illegal things...

It isn't about blocking the drive, it is about preventing the customer to be able to do illegal things. A Windows boot CD with a little ramdrive without harddisk will prevent disk WRITE access. Locking down USB ports for file transfer (like drivelock does) will prevent them to be able to hook up their own diskspace. It wil still allow to hook up webcams and stuff like that.

But, all of the above only helps in your own shop. There is no sure way to prevent access to remote storage facilities. They will still be able to share and distribute, it's just not physical on a disk in your shop.

Jules

A locked down linux system isn't hard to use. For sure there are ready images for internet cafe use, maybe even including timed access or stuff like that. I have never been in the position where I had to use an Kiosk setup, but if I had to these would be my first things to do. It will never get infected by a virus (accept for the ram drive that is...) It will allways fire up mean and lean (and yes, clean). They will never be able to install their software themself, and have the next user with the 'benefits'. You can't install keyloggers, accept for the hardware ones.

It is just impossible to lock a Windows system down any other way, it wil just collect garbage (and slow down) or it is 'hacked' in minutes if not seconds.

Jules

Not wanting to start a yes or no discussion, I think I read all the posts in this thread of the original thread starter, and it does cover his/her questions.

Jules

I suggest you read them again. He doesn't want to lock down the system or anything! He just wants to prevent the copying of his files onto removable drives, while allowing users to copy their private files. Thats all!

I suggest you read them again. He doesn't want to lock down the system or anything! He just wants to prevent the copying of his files onto removable drives, while allowing users to copy their private files. Thats all!

I think you missed a bit of the point too. If you read carefully, although he may have difficulty with his english, he does state that he wants to prevent people from copying content from his local server, yet still be allowed to stream such content. The removable drives have nothing to do with it as he wants to prevent the copy from occurring even from the server to the local machine.

I think you missed a bit of the point too. If you read carefully, although he may have difficulty with his english, he does state that he wants to prevent people from copying content from his local server, yet still be allowed to stream such content. The removable drives have nothing to do with it as he wants to prevent the copy from occurring even from the server to the local machine.

Yeah, I meant that too. It can be done. The methods I described earlier can be used.