plss help me about copy protection ?

ocen

hi..

my friend owner of internet cafe.. we are using Windows XP Proffesional and we need to do copy protection on network... I mean sometimes guest's coming and they are putting them ipod,mp3 player,usb hdd to computer and they are copying movies, mp3, illegal things.. we don't wanna let them copying illegal things... please help me how can I do copy protection on network? just I wanna let them only stream mp3.. no delete - no move - no cut - no copy ? but how? I hear one of my friend he do that but he never tell me... plss I ned to help...

P.S : Im so sorry about my english and my topics ( as help me ) I know like childish.. but this problem is everyday going my nervous.......

Edited by ocen

You have several options.

1. You can see if you can disable the CDROM and USB ports in the BIOs.

2. You can use Group Policies to disable the USB and other removable media.

3. You can set the file system permissions to Read Only for key folders to prevent users from copying files to the computer.

4. You can go as far as putting silicon into the USB ports to prevent users from plugging into them. A bit extreme but people do it.

5. You can check out Microsoft's "Shared Computer Toolkit". It's free from Microsoft and it's geared for this sort of thing. We use it on the public kiosks were I work.

Yes, I agree--Group Policy are probably the first step. In XP Pro and can modify the machine's policy settings under "Start" --> "Run..." --> "gpedit.msc".

Also, make sure that computers being logged into using an account with no administrative permissions; this step alone could prevent many foreign hardware from being installed on a system.

deep freeze should be the best option for cybercafe

Yes, Deep Freeze is also used by some departments on campus here. From what I hear they're very happy with it.

Deep Freeze will preserve the original state of the machine and prevent tampering with the original installation but it will not allow him to "lock down" the machine and prevent people from copying "illegal materials".

Use TweakUI to restrict all of the drives on the computer except for maybe C:/ or certain network drives. Then they can't open the drive that their removable media appears on.

That will only hide the drive. You can still work your way around it.

do you have a domain? or a p2p network?

no I have no domain or p2p network.. just I need protection in our public internet cafe

You have several options.

1. You can see if you can disable the CDROM and USB ports in the BIOs.

2. You can use Group Policies to disable the USB and other removable media.

3. You can set the file system permissions to Read Only for key folders to prevent users from copying files to the computer.

4. You can go as far as putting silicon into the USB ports to prevent users from plugging into them. A bit extreme but people do it.

5. You can check out Microsoft's "Shared Computer Toolkit". It's free from Microsoft and it's geared for this sort of thing. We use it on the public kiosks were I work.

1 & 2 & 4 ) if I disable them how can I turn on webcam or etc..

3 ) how can I do that ? I just need don't let the people copy files from network ( internet cafe ) only stream ?

4 ) I can't do that..

5 ) yes I need something like that too.. this toolkit can u what I want ?

Maybe some way to restrict running P2P software?

The way they get these "illegal" (debatable) things is through software like uTorrent, eMule... etc.

we don't wanna share legal thing... just play to them.. like norma internet cafe...

deep freeze should be the best option for cybercafe

we are already using lates version of Deepfreeze..but its not about this...

You can lock down the computers using Group Policies as well.

I looked there several time's but I could't find anything? can u help me? where I have to look directly?

Yes, I agree--Group Policy are probably the first step. In XP Pro and can modify the machine's policy settings under "Start" --> "Run..." --> "gpedit.msc".

Also, make sure that computers being logged into using an account with no administrative permissions; this step alone could prevent many foreign hardware from being installed on a system.

we don't wanna create new account on computer.. and give some limit for account... just I need to disable copy from network.. because all mp3 & films & documents & pics in host machine.. ( where guest is paying for how long they used computer )

Yes, Deep Freeze is also used by some departments on campus here. From what I hear they're very happy with it.

yes but DeepFreeze can't do that... its freezing ur computer.. when u restart ur computer ur computer is going back to deepfreze activated time... also we are happy with deepfreze but not happy copying files...

Deep Freeze will preserve the original state of the machine and prevent tampering with the original installation but it will not allow him to "lock down" the machine and prevent people from copying "illegal materials".

right..u explain already.. thank you..

Use TweakUI to restrict all of the drives on the computer except for maybe C:/ or certain network drives. Then they can't open the drive that their removable media appears on.

I can hide all driver's its no problem for me.. but if I put webcam to usb port and if I need to take a pic? then how? ( maybe with 3rd party program but don't need ? huh?

That will only hide the drive. You can still work your way around it.

yes u are right to.. I can completely disable other drivers but if they wanna save document to them usb stick? or I need use scanner ? or webcam ? or other things? then it wil be problem..

thanks for all everybody ur nice answer... just I need to disable copy protection from network... I will explain u now much better... u can see pics here... we are currently controlling and using internet like this

copyintervq9.gif

Im still looking for answers.. and sorry about my english... ( if I did a mistake )

Edited by ocen

Let me try to understand your scenario:

- You have a server containing audio and video.

- You wan't your customers to be able to play/view them on the workstations.

- You don't want them to copy the files, only view or play them.

If that's the case,

1) Do not share the folder containing the files. Disable or remove any shares to those folders.

2) Set up a Windows Media Server.

This way, you'll be able to stream your media without allowing direct access to the files. You can also use other software like VLC Player instead of Windows Media Server.

Let me try to understand your scenario:

- You have a server containing audio and video.

- You wan't your customers to be able to play/view them on the workstations.

- You don't want them to copy the files, only view or play them.

If that's the case,

1) Do not share the folder containing the files. Disable or remove any shares to those folders.

2) Set up a Windows Media Server.

This way, you'll be able to stream your media without allowing direct access to the files. You can also use other software like VLC Player instead of Windows Media Server.

firstly thank you for answer.. but

The ideal way to host Windows Media files and streams is on a server  running Microsoft Windows Media Services 9 Series. However, you can  also host Windows Media files on any Web server. To stream from a Web  server, add the Windows Media Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions  (MIME) type to your Web server, create simple Windows Media metafiles  with .wax, .wvx, or .asx file name extensions in a text editor (such as  Notepad), and then copy the content to your server. Any user can then connect to your site and play audio  and video content with Windows Media Player. Later, when you decide to  expand, you can add a Windows Media server to your Web site and take  full advantage of the features and benefits that are available to you  from Windows Media technologies.

it mean is like online radio in ur server... but I told u we are in internet cafe.. and there is a lot of song... near 20.000 I think in Media server I have to work for them one by one for 20.000 mp3?

and

.asf	 video/x-ms-asf
.asx video/x-ms-asf
.nsc video/x-ms-asf
.wax audio/x-ms-wax
.wm video/x-ms-wm
.wma audio/x-ms-wma
.wmd application/x-ms-wmd
.wmv video/x-ms-wmv
.wmx video/x-ms-wmx
.wmz application/x-ms-wmz
.wvx video/x-ms-wvx

if I delete all share folder and don't share anything.. how can let them watch movie's ? read e-book & document ? looking pics? etc...

just I need when u connect to Network example

\\hostmachine\sharedfolder\mp3

or

\\hostmachine\sharedfolder\video's

when u see folder just clicking and watching or listening... we don't wanna let our guest to copy them from hostmachine to which they are using currently. after that they are putting them usb stick.. we don't want this..but how? any suggestion ?