Sandisk Sansa MP3 player isn't recognized

unknownsoldierX

I am having trouble with my Sandisk Sansa e270 and Vista Ultimate 32-bit. The player has the latest firmware. I have all of the latest driver and software updates installed, including the latest chipset drivers for my mobo.

When I plug the player using its USB cable Vista pops up a driver installation window, but fails to find drivers. It worked fine when I was using XP. I've tried the player in both MSC and MPT modes. The player shows up in device manager under Other Devices and it has an exclamation point.

It still works fine with a PC running XP, but I have to go out of my way to use it. I have asked around on forums dedicated to Sansa players and no one else seems to be having this problem.

OK. I got my MP3 player working, and I think this is what did it. So for those that have similar problems with any other MP3 player or USB storage device, try this:

I have been trying to get my Sansa to work with Vista for a week now (it still works fine with XP.) I would plug it it and the driver installation would pop up, but it would fail to find the drivers. The e270 would show up in device manager (twice, since I have a microSD card in it) under Other Devices, and would have the yellow exclamation point declaring that there was a driver problem.

I recently had a problem installing Daemon-Tools. The virtual CD-ROMs weren't showing up in explorer, even though device manager showed them as being installed.

After some research in the Daemon-Tools forums I found the solution to fix the virtual drives. I turned off all Daemon-Tools virtual drives, deleted "c:\windows\inf\infcache.1", and turned the virtual drives back on. They got reinstalled, and they are working fine now.

I just plugged in my Sansa, and now Windows installed the drivers without any errors. Woo-hoo!