Run box on the desktop

matthewk

I would like a run box on my desktop behind all of the windows. I would like the text field of it to always be active when no windows are actively showing.

Currently, I'm using desktop sidebar (http://www.desktopsidebar.com) with the run box panel (undocked). I have the sidebar on autohide and set so that it will never show. I don't mind the memory usage from it, but the panel with desktop sidebar, even when undocked, does not always show an active text field (the panel denotes to use winkey+q or mouse to activate the textfield).

sidebarev0.png

Can someone help? Thanks :hello:

• 1 month later...

I can help get you started, but I don't know how to everything you want. Well, this is for hacking the actual run box built into Windows. If this is a route you may want to consider.

1. Get Resource Hacker (aka ResHacker). Take the Shell32.dll file from the System32 folder and open it with ResHacker.

2. Expand 'Dialog' then expand the '1003' folder. Click on the icon that looks like a flower and you will see the run dialog box appear.

3. Edit it the way you want. Right click and delete the things you don't want. Move the 'OK' box next to the box you type in (like you have it on your screenshot).

4. To get rid of the title bar, right click in the box area and go to 'Edit Dialog'. Toward the bottom there are a few thing highlighted in yellow. Find the one called 'WS_CAPTION'. Click it to un-yellow it. Say goodbye to the titlebar.

That will get it pretty much looking like you want. Things not fixed yet: 1. The 'OK' box is not a cool red box with an arrow. 2. The run box closes after you run something.

Maybe some other MSFN patron will help you fix those two things. Also, I don't know how to call up the box, either. But once you find out, all you have to do is put it in the '%userprofile%/Start Menu\Programs\Startup' folder. That will make it start when Windows starts.

More thoughts... Windows File Protection probably won't let you replace it. You will have to disable WFP or integrate the new Shell32.dll in to the XP CD before installing XP. If you don't have WFP problems, then you can replace it, but changes won't take effect until you reboot.

I did a quick one. It's not as cool as the one you had in the picture, but this is what I figured out in 5 minutes and I don't have the will power to spend more than 5 minutes on it. I knew enough to get this far, so I thought I would point you in the right direction.

runer7.jpg

As the dialogbox can be run via the keys WIN and R create an script in Autoit.

Capturing pressing both keys will create that. Then test! I works as desired, compile that and drop a .lnk to the new e.g. runbox.exe into your startup folder.

I prefer using ac'tivaid (Caution: Website is in german!)

Edited by ChrisKuhli