Setting WMP 64bit as default

S.SubZero

It came down to the download indicating it was a 64-bit media player and it wasn't.

The "benefit" is simply making it so there's one less *32 in the task manager. I just use XP64 for gaming anyways so I'm not going to make a fuss about it.

I recently put Vista x64 on my laptop, and it even has 64-bit Media Player 11, and I can't even get *that* to be the default. No matter what hacks or tweaks I try, it always uses the 32-bit MP11 for pre-defined associations. Extremely annoying.

Unless the process has changed, then it won't, since I tried it already. In fact I posted in that thread about it.

The process has not changed and it does work as stated. You need to read more because what I am about to tell you is stated in the x64 thread. If you associated a filetype to the 32bit player, it will always open the 32bit player even if the system is using the 64bit player as default. Just like if you associated a filetype to Media Player Classic. They are 2 different programs and the file associations are not changed, just the systems default player.

I assure you, the icons do as stated and this is easily verified by having a shortcut to Windows Media Player in your startmenu or on the desktop that was placed there by the operating system. Once you swap to x64 just rightclick the WMP shortcut and in the list, choose open file location. It will take you to the appropriate version.

shark

The process has not changed and it does work as stated. You need to read more because what I am about to tell you is stated in the x64 thread. If you associated a filetype to the 32bit player, it will always open the 32bit player even if the system is using the 64bit player as default. Just like if you associated a filetype to Media Player Classic. They are 2 different programs and the file associations are not changed, just the systems default player.

Since I don't see any way to fix this association problem, the codecs don't do me any good. I mean it's nice you're informing people about the association but you may want to include a "I don't know how to fix it" or "here's how to fix it.." thing because just telling me the reason isn't providing any solution.

Since I don't see any way to fix this association problem, the codecs don't do me any good. I mean it's nice you're informing people about the association but you may want to include a "I don't know how to fix it" or "here's how to fix it.." thing because just telling me the reason isn't providing any solution.

Its difficult to fix something when it isn't even broken in the 1st place. You only feel it doesn't work correctly because the command doesn't do what you would like it to do.

The solution is to know what you are going to do with your system before you decide to install Vista on it. If that decision is to use the 64bit player as default, set it that way before you start setting up file associations.

If your system is already past this point, then each file association that was created manually before the 64bit swap, will need to be recreated to point to the 64bit player by rightclicking and choosing open with... and setting it to always open that program.

The default windows associations such as WMV are changed automatically to the correct player when you execute the swap shortcut(s). The associations you created manually initially, will still need to be changed again manually to the 64bit player.

I had the opportunity to discuss all of this directly with the Microsoft developer that wrote the swapto code recently and he informed me that the registry edit that goes along with the swap command mainly deals with internet shortcuts to media files in webpages. This registry edit of the "Path" is not part of my shortcuts at this time so weblinks clicked will still want to default to the 32bit player. I am now considering modifying my shortcuts to include the registry edit.

conversation snips of interest that pertain to this particular thread:

"Shark007" wrote... Hi, I am the developer of the Vista Codec Package.

<snip>

"Zachd [MSFT]" wrote... and there's nothing in your pack that jumps out as technical badness to a quick once-over. I'm here solely interested in stability and Things Workin', so I think we're on the same page. =)

<snip>

"Zachd [MSFT]" wrote... The SwapTo code I wrote (it's a test/deployment feature of negligible value - but since it's being picked up by 64bit fans, is doing exactly what it was written for)...

<snip>

"Shark007" wrote... the swapto code functions fine without the registry edit?

<snip>

"Zachd [MSFT]" wrote... It doesn't, though - I believe the specific scenario you would notice is clicking in on an HREF to a media file - you really do need to set the Path here. It's fine if people don't want to do that, but it won't work cohesively without that, end of story. =)<snip>

Zachd is a "Senior" developer on Windows at Microsoft.

Please NOTE Zachd's signature throughout these conversations reads as follows:

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

EDIT: i have released version 1.1.6 of the x64 Components to address

the issue of the "Path" setting in the registry when swapping the players.