No network provider

Hey everyone.

Been trying to get this install to work for a few days now and keep getting this error.

No network provider accepted the given network path

This is happening after the install during first login using RunOnceEx. Only with the first program in the list though, the second, third, fourth, etc all install afterwards. I'v searched the forums here and on google. On google I have went all the way up to the 10th page of results trying all the stuff mentioned/recommended on the sites and just can't seem to make it work. This is on a Workgroup setup and I have reset the router, print server, computers and everything else. I have even tried with a full blown install stock cd of XP and W2K with the same results. Tried in VMware with only the two images seeing each other and still the same thing. I can ping the other computers, map drives and everything networking can be done. Just not the RunOnceEX with the first program in the install. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

here's what I'm using, again the first program #900 will not install but 905 will.

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "HTPC System Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\900 /VE /D "Dot Net V1.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\900 /V 1 /D "\\Gemini\Installs\SysApps\DotNet_V1.1\netfx.msi /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\905 /VE /D "Dot Net V2.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\905 /V 1 /D "\\Gemini\Installs\SysApps\DotNet_V2.0\install.exe /q" /f

TIA

jd

I've seen this before, and I'm not certain what causes it except that it always seems to work the second time around. You could consider putting in a pause via vbscript or something - I wrote something awhile back that did this (waited for the network and tried to map a drive). Even if it failed, I always installed via UNC path, and it would "fix" my network issues because it would always run first - meaning that whether or not it would fail sometimes on some machines, everything worked (it didn't affect the "working" machines, and it would be the "failure step" on the broken machines). Give it a try:

Dim sTestPath
Dim intCount
Dim objNet

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objVolatileEnv = objShell.Environment("VOLATILE")
Set objNet = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

' An UNC path here that will be available when network connection is in place sTestPath = "\\server\share"
sTestPath = "\\RISSERVER\reminst\Setup\English\Images\IMAGENAME\UNATTEND"
intCount = 1

' test on volatile environment variable to avoid running logon script
' if the user has already run the logon script.
If Not objVolatileEnv("LogonScript") = "Done" Then

Do Until objFSO.FolderExists(sTestPath)
' sleep 5 seconds
WScript.Sleep 5000
intCount = intCount + 1
If intCount = 6 Then
MsgBox "Unable to connect to network share for 1 minute. Please notify your network administrator."
Exit Do
End If
Loop

' share/folder available on server now, so continue
' objnet.MapNetworkDrive "Z:", "\\RISSERVER\REMINST","True","DOMAIN\LoggedOnUser","password"

End If

Thanks cluberti. I don't know what happened but it's working now without changing a thing in the system. :wacko: :wacko: Guess the planets weren't lined up 3 deg. due south. :wacko: :wacko: I am not that familiar with using the VB script during install times so where exactly would this go in install??

Thanks

John

I am not that familiar with using the VB script during install times so where exactly would this go in install??

You would call the vbscript as the first runonce item - and if it doesn't work, you'll get a popup dialog box, and if it does work you won't. Either way, runonce will continue on to the second item in the list.