Windows Millennium

pwner666

Hi people i am currently running windows Millennuim as thats the only OS i had saved and workiing on HDD. I cant get critical/security updates froom microsoft. I wondered is there any other sites that has them?

Also does anyone know why my Primary slave HDD onnly shows as a removable drive? Its a lot smaller then it should be as well.(i have set windows to allow Large hardrive enabler)

Please please help me out as i cant afford to buy a diff OS and have been stuck for 4 weeks trying to fix all this.

Edited by pwner666

On FAT32 you do lose a lot more Gb's of disk space because of the

file system. NTFS is far better but if you have Millennium on it then

it never could have been NTFS which is what confuses me a bit...

How big is your hard disk and how big is Windows saying it is?

If its over 137Gb then it won't show past that in Millennium.

I dunno about this though, maybe you can try the second post here

by the_guy where he posts a hotfix...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...78592&st=40

To fix the drive issue you could try uninstalling the "IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers"

in Device Manager then reboot with your Millennium disc in your CD-drive and

it should re-detect the hard drive. You might not even need the Millennium CD,

I don't know if Millennium has driver support in the OS itself.

If you want updates for Millennium, try visiting "Windiz update" with

Firefox or Opera browser, they might still support Millennium.

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Edited by LeveL

Or you if you can't afford a new operating system, GET a new operating system. By that I don't mean pirate, I mean get Linux. Free, no DRM, open source. Granted, I'm being a hypocrite - I use Windows XP not linux (thought that may soon change!) But seriously, a machine that doesn't work with Windows ME (and what machine does?? :rolleyes: ) will work considerably better with Linux - I've seen it happen. Faster, less buggy, no BSODs ever. Just an idea.

On FAT32 you do lose a lot more Gb's of disk space because of the

file system. NTFS is far better but if you have Millennium on it then

it never could have been NTFS which is what confuses me a bit...

How big is your hard disk and how big is Windows saying it is?

If its over 137Gb then it won't show past that in Millennium.

I dunno about this though, maybe you can try the second post here

by the_guy where he posts a hotfix...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...78592&st=40

To fix the drive issue you could try uninstalling the "IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers"

in Device Manager then reboot with your Millennium disc in your CD-drive and

it should re-detect the hard drive. You might not even need the Millennium CD,

I don't know if Millennium has driver support in the OS itself.

If you want updates for Millennium, try visiting "Windiz update" with

Firefox or Opera browser, they might still support Millennium.

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

My PM drive is only a 10gb but shows as only a 4GB and my PS is 120gb but only showing as a 8GB.

I dont have the millennuim cd as this Hard drive was in a PC i was given after it broke down. I removed it and after my old HDD died i was forced to use this. Where exactly do you mean when you say: Uninstall IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers?

Windiz worked for critical updates but after a reboot just generated an error which was:

Firefox caused an error in MSVCRT.dll.

As for the link with the hotfix this did not seem to work at all so i still have a removable PS and smaller then normal HDD.

Also the fun has really started now with windows throwing up the following errors on startup:

1) Setupapi.dll is missing.

2)Error loading c:\windows\system\MSA64CHK.dll

3)error loading Powerprof.dll One of the libary files needed was not found.

4)windows could not upgrade the file 1% from 2%

Can i upgrade to any other OS other then linux for free at all?

Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by pwner666

No, but kinda maybe yes.

I know of no other FREE operating system. But if you go to a college, you may be able to get Windows XP from them for free or very little. If you are a US government employee, you can potentially get windows through your agency. They have a deal with microsoft. If you live in certain "third world" countries, you can get Windows XP Starter edition for very little money, but it's ridiculously watered down. Or you can get linux. It's not really that bad. I've used it some, never extensively, but as I said, I'm working on changing that. No other ways to a free upgrade I assume. Unless you pirate, but that's a big no-no. I advise against it.

But think about it this way. How much does windows xp home cost? A $99 upgrade. How much do you use your computer? When you look at cost per hour of computer use, it's not as expensive as it seems. Of course, I'm not rushing to buy anything expensive, so I'm being hypocritical again, but it's a thought. If you can't, I understand. So ask your employer or school or something if you can get windows xp or even windows 2000 would be better. But don't get vista. Ugh.

No, but kinda maybe yes.

I know of no other FREE operating system. But if you go to a college, you may be able to get Windows XP from them for free or very little. If you are a US government employee, you can potentially get windows through your agency. They have a deal with microsoft. If you live in certain "third world" countries, you can get Windows XP Starter edition for very little money, but it's ridiculously watered down. Or you can get linux. It's not really that bad. I've used it some, never extensively, but as I said, I'm working on changing that. No other ways to a free upgrade I assume. Unless you pirate, but that's a big no-no. I advise against it.

But think about it this way. How much does windows xp home cost? A $99 upgrade. How much do you use your computer? When you look at cost per hour of computer use, it's not as expensive as it seems. Of course, I'm not rushing to buy anything expensive, so I'm being hypocritical again, but it's a thought. If you can't, I understand. So ask your employer or school or something if you can get windows xp or even windows 2000 would be better. But don't get vista. Ugh.

Well after sleeping on my decision and waking up to find my computer will not show me any icons in control panel i have decided to give linux a go. I doubt i will even use it if im honest. Also if i was to use Norton Ghost to take a picture of my friends c: drive could i then use it on this PC to alter the OS?

But seriously, a machine that doesn't work with Windows ME (and what machine does?? )

There are machines that do work well with Windows ME, it seems.

I know of no other FREE operating system.

Solaris. ReactOS. BeOS.

But if you go to a college, you may be able to get Windows XP from them for free or very little.

I don't recommend installing that heavy-weight.

Well after sleeping on my decision and waking up to find my computer will not show me any icons in control panel i have decided to give linux a go.

I recommend Puppy Linux! It's a LiveCD, and can be installed to the hard drive if you want to. Works great. :)

Also if i was to use Norton Ghost to take a picture of my friends c: drive could i then use it on this PC to alter the OS?

What do you mean with "alter the OS"?

But seriously, a machine that doesn't work with Windows ME (and what machine does?? )

There are machines that do work well with Windows ME, it seems.

I know of no other FREE operating system.

Solaris. ReactOS. BeOS.

But if you go to a college, you may be able to get Windows XP from them for free or very little.

I don't recommend installing that heavy-weight.

Well after sleeping on my decision and waking up to find my computer will not show me any icons in control panel i have decided to give linux a go.

I recommend Puppy Linux! It's a LiveCD, and can be installed to the hard drive if you want to. Works great. :)

Also if i was to use Norton Ghost to take a picture of my friends c: drive could i then use it on this PC to alter the OS?

What do you mean with "alter the OS"?

What i mean is if my friend has XP installed on his c drive and i was to take an image of it with norton ghost. If i ten put the disk in my machine and loaded the image would my machine then run windows xp? Im probly just dreaming tat this could accturelly work but hey ill try anything lol.

My PM drive is only a 10gb but shows as only a 4GB and my PS is 120gb but only showing as a 8GB.

Get "part244.exe" from Ranish Partition Manager and see what it says about your drives and where's the 90% lost free space you're not using.

dont care about illegal Microsoft always seem to screw me so would be revenge for me

Illegal or not, you'd still be using a recent operating system of theirs, and they like that. The real way to take revenge would be to install and use Linux.

dont care about illegal Microsoft always seem to screw me so would be revenge for me

Illegal or not, you'd still be using a recent operating system of theirs, and they like that. The real way to take revenge would be to install and use Linux.

Well it seems my pc is being a pain and wont let me install the cd of linux i now have either. guess microsoft win again :realmad: