About default desktop icons.

Martin H

When installing Windows XP Pro. without using nLite, then the only desktop icon that's made by default is the Recycle Bin. Then when using nLite, then under the "Tweaks" section, then there are options for either showing or hiding some different desktop icons like e.g. "Internet Explorer" and "My Documents" etc. If i then dosen't enable any of those desktop icon tweaks i.e. i dosen't set any of them to either "Show" or "Hide", then i thought that the normal thing would happen like if i haden't used nLite, which is that only the Recycle Bin icon is made by default, but the thing that happens is that besides the Recycle Bin then also four other icons are made like e.g. "Internet Explorer" and "My Documents" etc. Could you please tell me if this is normal behaviour or a bug ? I mean that if i don't define a desktop shortcut to "Hide", then it's automatically enabled by default ? Also, Since i personally only want to have the "Internet Explorer" desktop icon on my desktop by default and no other icons, then i have set all the desktop icons except "Internet Explorer" to "Hide" and then i'm wondering about if i should set "Internet Explorer" to "Enabled", or if i shouldn't set "Internet Explorer" to anything, since it will be made anyway ?

Actually, i have allready made an nLite bootable ISO where i have set "Internet Explorer" to "Show" and all the other desktop icons to "Hide" and i would like to know what the most correct thing would be to do, i mean should i set the "Internet Explorer" desktop icon to "Show", or shouldn't i set the "Internet Explorer" icon to anything, since it will be made anyway ? Sorry, i know that it propperly dosen't matter, but i'm a bit of an perfectionist, and want to know if the thing i have done is the correct way to do it i.e. Set the "Internet Explorer" desktop icon to "Show" ?

Thank's in advance.

Martin.

Hi vasyabelkin :)

Ahh, that's of course right :) Sorry, i'm an id*** :)

Thank you so much for your help.

Btw, I'm using the classic interface, but i have set the "Internet Explorer" desktop icon to "Show". Now since the "Internet Explorer" icon is being shown by default in the classic theme anyway, then would it then be better if i instead remove the "Show" for that icon and leave it undefined, if i want it shown ?

I want to know if my ISO is fine, or if i should rather re-make it so that the "Internet Explorer" icon is undefined instead of set to "Show" ? I mean is it fine to set it to "Show" even though the icon is being made by default anyway ?

Thank's in advance.

Martin.

Glad to help. About your question, I don't know what to tell you, honestly. I use "Classic" too, but I've specifically checked the boxes for all the icons in my setup. From the other side, as far as I understood from your first post, you left all the icons unchecked and that brought the Windows' defaults. So, I think, checking specifically the IE icon and leaving the others at their defaults, won't mess anything and you will get the same defaults in the end.

For others interressted...

Enabling the 'Classic Start Menu' will by default additionally add 4 extra desktop icons in addition to the Recycle Bin : My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places and Internet Explorer.

Just in case anyone else where interressted...

(Note: This is standard Windows XP behaviour and not just nLite...)