Please Help !

zmoustache

Okay...here's the problem.

A friend of mine complained about some issues on her laptop. She didn't have any up to date antivirus. I installed Symantec and ran a scan. there were 98 Viruses & trojans that were found. I deleted them and when I rebooted there was an error box with verbiage of nrcs.exe.

Symantec's website suggested how to remove via editing the registry.

I backed up the registry and followed their instructions (Backdoor.Ranky.X)

When I rebooted, the computer would get to the welcome screen and when a account was selected would start to load the account, then shut down and save settings in a couple of seconds.

It would do this in safe mode as well for any account selected including administrator. Same thing for safe mode w/command prompt.

I was able to restore the registry to the backup, but I'm still at the point that it saves settings and goes back to the welcome screen as soon as an account is selected.

I'm perplexed, and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Z

Try a repair install of windows.

try this......boot into Safe Mode.

Then click on Start/Run,type msconfig then press Ok.

Under the 'Startup' tab uncheck everything,press Apply/Ok,reboot at the prompt.

Does it now start up normally or not.

If the pc now starts up normally,start adding entries back under the 'Startup' tab.

Checkmark each box,reboot the pc in between each one until you find the problem.

If still no joy,try doing a Selective Startup,it may narrow it down as to what may be causing the problem.

Click on Start>Run,type msconfig then press Ok.

Under the 'General' tab,click\select 'Selective Startup',then clear all of the subsequent check boxes.

You will not be able to clear the 'Use Original BOOT.INI' check box.

Starting with the first available check box (Process SYSTEM.INI File).

Select each check box one at a time, and restart the machine as prompted until the problem is reproduced.

Once the problem reappears,click the tab that corresponds to the selected file.

For example,if the problem reappears after selecting the Win.ini file,click the WIN.INI tab in System Configuration Utility.

Make sure your AV and Firewall are both running before reconnecting to the internet.

Click on Start>Run,type msconfig then press Ok.

Under the 'General' tab,click\select 'Diagnostic Startup',then press Apply/Ok, reboot when prompted.

Does your pc start up normally now.

Click on Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

Check in the System and Application logs for any serious errors[Red X's].

Double click on each error,the 'Event Properties' box will open.

Look through the info found there for any clues as to what may be causing your problem.

Specially look for any file/driver/ :hello::whistle: