Windows 3.1 games

wilgaa

Hi. I'm having a wild problem with the the WoW32 subsystem's windows 3.1 install.

If I run a game that requires installation, and/or has an installer that doesn't explicitly check if you have a video card, the game runs fine.

One such game is Entombed, which displays the following message:

Entombed has not detected a 256 color display driver.
Please use the Windows Setup to select or install a 256 color display driver that supports your video card.
Contact the vendor of your video card if you cannot locate or install a 256 color diplsay driver.

Entombed will now close.

I have tried running it under both Virtual PC and DOSBox, with no success.

In DOSBox, I can't get a single video driver to work, even though the S3 driver should work, since it emulates a Trident card. In Virtual PC (which emulates a Trio64), I tried installing the drivers, but upon restarting win3.11, it fails. I have successfully installed SciTech Display Doctor 5.3a in wfw3.11, but it still claims it can't find a driver, because it doesn't show up in winsetup.exe (because the setup prog copies the files itself). When I open winsetup (and point it to the SDD directory), it complains that it can't find any inf files. What do I do?

I could theoretically try it under dos (the interated graphics do have a driver for win3.11), but then there would be no sound. I remember going over to a friends house a couple years ago, and looking around the HD.

The computer ran win95. After looking around a while, I found out that the computer had the same chipset that sound dsp/codec that mine does. And, to my suprise, their system had both ms-dos and Windows 3.1 drivers. I even remember seeing it load the dos drivers on bootup. In fact, the 95 install actually used win3.11 drivers. So I finally found the setup files on the hd (for both the DOS and win3.1 drivers), and copied the files to some floppies. So it seems like between 1996 and 2000,themobo didn't change that much.

My current system has a MEW-AM mobo, and looking through the specs, it says (rather generically ) that it has a Crystal Semiconductor sound chipset". Duh!!! Well that was obvious, so the question is now, what chipset???? :confuzed:

So there can only be two possible answers:

1) Tell me how to trick to get 256 color mode working for WoW apps.

2) Or if you can't 'trick' it, can you even run apps that require more than 16 colors in the WoW subsystem, and if so, how???

3) Point me to a dos driver for the sound card, or at least tell me the dang chipset. The documentation sucks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by wilgaa