Windows XP FREEZES After Resuming from Hibernation

marcolopes

Windows XP FREEZES After Resuming from Hibernation

---

I have a really annoying problem in my system.

I use Windows XP pro, with SP2 and the latest updates / hotfixes

I don’t know what I have changed exactly, but a few months ago, my system (After YEARS of

resuming very nicely from hibernation) started to FREEZE COMPLETELY after coming back to life.

Here is What i know:

1) Sometimes it freezes ON THE FIRST ACCESS to the NETWORK (Updating anti-virus, Getting mail, browsing...);

2) Other times it will FREEZE before drawing the DESKTOP (half the icons stay missing) right after resuming;

3) Other times i Work fine for SOME minutes and then... freeze!

4) THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I STAY IN HIBERNATION for some HOURS!! If i resume right away, the system is stable! :-\

Here is waht i tried:

- AntiSpywares (realtime, online). I use AVG Free anti-virus and I’m behind a router.

- Windows file checker utility (with Scannow)

- Making a BAT routine to Hibernate, disabling the Network, External disk drives, etc, Hibernating, and enabling them back after resuming, with NO success.

- Changed network drivers many times (I now have the latest REALTEK RTL8139/810x drivers

Change network drivers configuration (wake up on) to enable / disable.

- Enabling / disabling all NETWORK devices (though I installed them AFTER the problem started),

like IR, BlueTooth, and Firewire adapters (still disabled)

- REMOVING some WINDOWS HOTFIXES that might be the reason of this problem.

I could use all the help.

Thanks.

P.S.: I have very recently removed ALL (Except KB 929338. Removing this one CRIPLES my system completely – messes up with most of my drivers, and even if I reinstall them, system will not boot again) HOTfixes (not SECURITY related) from my system to test ANY new behaviour. I will keep you posted.

Send me a message here with an email address and I'll send you a zip file with a hibernate exe on it I use. It's freeware but the site is no longer to be found. Here is another one that might work. I use it for a couple things http://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

Joe

Joe, my email is marcolopes@netc.pt

I'll wait for that file (it's not that microsoft patch for hibernating problems on PC's with more than 1GB, right?)

Thanks.

Have you checked your video drivers? Also - what router are you using? Are you using DHCP or static IP?

Yes... tried SEVERAL versions of the ATI Radeon 9200 video drivers.

OLDER, newer. . .

I'm using a STATIC IP address on my network adapter.

I connect through a network, wich has a Zyxel Router on the end.

(for a more technical point of view, i have a HUB with a WIRELESS ACCESS point (BRIDGE MODE) that connects to the MAIN access point of the network. But that's TRANSPARENT. . . see it as a CABLE).

Edited by marcolopes

Have you tried a restorepoint?

MANY!

UPDATE:

In the laste few days i went crazy and REMOVED ALL the patches UP TO SP2!

I've had quite a few problems removing one or two, but managed to copy ntkrnl* files to the right version...

After a HOTFIX check (an utility found at microsoft), SFC /Scannow and Registry check, i tested my system with NO LUCK!

Changed video drivers again, no luck.

Yesterday i restored my system to the previous state (of course, NO SYSTEM RESTORE could cope with such modifications, so i HAD a DRIVE IMAGE previously made for that reason.)

I'm back to square 1.

Edited by marcolopes

My experience is that this is really a problem created by MS inability to restart a hard drive.

Go to Control Panel - Power Options - Power Schemes and under Turn off Hard Disks, change the setting to "Never".

That should solve the problem. Depending on how you use it you may just want to extend the time (instead of Never) if you know you are not leaving it for extended periods, because it will save on the life of your disk.

My experience is that this is really a problem created by MS inability to restart a hard drive.

Go to Control Panel - Power Options - Power Schemes and under Turn off Hard Disks, change the setting to "Never".

That should solve the problem. Depending on how you use it you may just want to extend the time (instead of Never) if you know you are not leaving it for extended periods, because it will save on the life of your disk.

I'm having some SYSTEM EVENTS on Hard Disk when i resume. I've tried to disable CACHE, but never thought of disabling the windows POWER features like the TURN OFF HARD DISKS... it does not make sense to me, but from a BAD written SO it myght! Since the SYSTEM will be hibernating for MORE than the HOURS indicated in the POWER OPTIONS, windows will DISABLE the hard disks as soon as it comes back from hibernation... making it impossible to syncronize (this is ironic, at best!). I will give that one a try. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently i had the following ERROR that gave me some precious information:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: System Error

Event Category: (102)

Event ID: 1003

Description:

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 fedcd468, parameter2 ff839440, parameter3 ffa657c8, parameter4 00000001.

Went to Windows HELP and there were few KB articles linked.

ONE of them was about TCPIP problem, and i installed Windows XP Hotfix KB925922

The other one was the thing i suspected from some time now...

ERROR: You receive a "STOP: 0x000000E3" error message when you safely remove an encrypted USB storage device from a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2

So i installed Windows XP Hotfix KB900808 (wich i got from http://thehotfixshare.net/)

AND WHY?

Because i have a MAXTOR ONE TOUCH III external USB / Firewire drive, currently connected through USB 2.0.

When i first connected the drive, i cannot remember if windows asked me for a driver. The truth IS that after i installed the Maxtor software (just to test and control de drive) the MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE SECURITY DRIVER (mxopswd.sys) WAS automatically installed, i think because of the PASSWORD protection features of the DRIVE (WICH I DO NOT USE!)

THIS DRIVER is not necessary for the drive to work, and i tried many times to remove all the soft and the DRIVER. Afterwards, windows STILL bugs me asking for the driver file, and the bastard knows the path where it was installed, despite the fact that i have deleted ALL the maxtor related files from the registry...

Anyway, the FACTS are:

AFTER installing the KB900808, AND *IMPORTANT*: EJECTING THE MAXTOR DRIVE before the Hibernation - I can now manage to resume back from hibernation... over the months i have tried to EJECT the drive (and mount it back up after resuming) with NO success on resume, SO i must assume that HOTFIX KB900808 works on some problem related to "PROTECTED USB storage" that my maxtor drive uses Through the proprietary maxtor Driver.

WHAT i don't understand is WHY the driver MUST be used if no encryption / passwords are used... and WHY disabling Driver in DEVICE MANAGER the DRIVE is removed from the system.

SHAME on MAXTOR, making a driver that cannot be uninstalled EVEN if the Maxtor Software is. So, beware all of you that use Maxtor external drives: EVEN if you disconnect your drive from the system, there is a LITTLE driver that can make you go MAD, because it STAYS on like a ghost...

I will post back if, for some reason, my system becomes unstable again.

Thanks to all.

P.S: If anyone KNOW the way to remove ALL THE TRACES of MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE SECURITY from my system, i'll be glad to know!

I had this very problem too, after using hibernate for many years, then one day, when closing down, the power went and it did not write the fresh hibernate data to the hard drive, and on another occasion the pc crashed during shut down and only wrote some of the hibernate data.

The result was that the pc was tagged to look for hibernate data each time on start up, which of course was not there (or corrupted).

You need to boot up into non hibernate mode (ie a fresh start), and then close down normally, so that the pc knows from now on not to start up in hibernate mode.

Once you have done this once successfully, then you can start hibernating again ..