Where'd the Security tab go?

Idontwantspam

Does anyone know why the Security tab (when doing a right-click on a file and choosing "Properties") never shows up in regular mode, but it's there in safe mode? Even when I log in as Administrator, it's only there in safe mode. In windows 2000 and windows XP Pro, it's always there (I think, from what I remember) but on my Windows XP Media Center and XP Home editions, it only shows up in safe mode. It would be nice to have it always be there, particularly since one of the computers doesn't handle safe mode well. (see this).

It's not enabled by default in XP Pro either (unless you joined a domain). It requires to disable Simple Filesharing in the Folder Options.

By design, there is no Security tab in XP Home and depending on your version of Media Center (that is based on XP Home) while in regular mode and is only visible in safe mode.

Configuring file sharing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Edited by redxii

Two things:

1: Yes, it IS there in XP Home if you go into safe mode. I've done it, and it's a pain, but it IS there.

2: XP Media Center is based on XP Professional, but with some things removed. It's more of XP Pro than it is of Home.

Anyhow, I will look into what you said about simple file sharing. Thanks.