Safe patching ntoskrnl.exe an invididual bootscreen

ChrisKuhli

What's about patching ntoskrnl.exe for an own bootscreen from within an installation of (my) pack(s)?

I don't think it's too dangerous, i would do it like TuneUP Styler does:

Copy original file to safe place, e.g. ntoskrno.exe <- Other names i should know? E.g. multiple processors kernels...

patching new copy of original file NewKrnl.exe with new Screen

Of course changing boot.ini, to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(6)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(6)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /Kernel=NewKrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(6)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Old Bootscreen)" /fastdetect

Hmm?

Edited by ChrisKuhli

Err - after posting that i realized that is not a XPize related topic...

But - here in this MSFN part XPize maybe is using Reshacker ontopic?

Btw zedox are you interested using that method in future versions of your pack integrating my Darkside-Bootscreen Darkside.rar (attached of posting in former thread of you)?

Edited by ChrisKuhli

I need a method that runs for slipstreaming - what betas of my pack should support. This thread is NOT WinXP related but Customizing.

The intention is: What are the technician thinking - and should ntoskrnl edited via a script running in a XPize Installer - or mustn't?

I use the XPize Installer, which seems to work fine, I havn't had any complaints that it hasn't yet.

You should make your posts a bit clearer... the original didn't really explain what you wanted!

Hmm, okay. Btw i took a close look into your installer package - fine doing with ntkrnpa/ ntoskrnl.

But, the bootscreens differs between WinXP and Win2K. But for that i will ask in the neighbourhood...