Remove specific hotfix?

Vchat20

So I am at yet another dilemma here. Turns out this specific hotfix: KB911280, breaks Windows DUN in a specific way that any connection that uses login scripting files (*.scp) do not work at all. Specifically, Roadrunner dialup access falls into this category which is gonna be of major use to me in the coming months.

I'm concerned in which way would be the best to nuke this hotfix from the end result nlite cd. I originally thought about just using RyanVM's Update pack and just remove the hotfix from it and continue onwards as usual. Unfortauntely the only thing I could find on his forums was that I'd have to manually track down which files the hotfix updated and remove them from the update package. Unfortunately, this is harder than it sounds since I can't track down which files specifically it updates.

The other method is to go out and download each and every hotfix and integrate them individually with nlite, bypassing KB911280. Then this presents its own sets of problems: Finding the relevant hotfixes and actually downloading them one at a time, making sure to add them into nlite in chronological order, etc..

If anyone has any other advice for me in this case, I'd appreciate it.

That's all fine and dandy, and kinda what I figured when I was toying around with the hotfix installer. But then comes the dilemma of finding out if any other recent hotfixes post-SP2 made modifications to that file as well and if so, finding out which one to put in it's place to 'downgrade' the file to pre-KB911280 state.

Again, I appreciate the help. Just this hotfix specifically is being a real pita as of late.

how about this. save a copy of the original/unproblematic file from your source location then integrate ryan's pack and after integration is completed put that saved file back into your source overwriting the updated file

I'd say go with the file from SP2 as I don't think it has been modified in any other patch apart from 911280 (i have over 500 post SP2 patches and it was only in this one) :D

Edited by johndoe74

Well, I went ahead and did the deed anyhow here. I went into the update pack and nuked the rasmans.dll file and the KB911280.cat file and also pulled the KB911280 entry from the RVMUpPck.inf file. Tested the nlited cd in VMware and QFEcheck.exe seemed to report no problems in me doing so. 911280 was gone from the list and none of the other hotfixes reported a problem (as compared to when I tried manually replacing the rasmans.dll file on here with the hotfix still installed and qfecheck reported an issue with the file when it got down to 911280).

I am now sitting on a fairly clean install of xp with this nlited cd. But removing the hotfix didn't fix the original issue in question. So to the original premise of this thread, everything is A-OK.