Instability

Hey,

I have installed my install on two different machines, both pass Prime95 (8 hours, no errors) and Memtest86+ (5 complete passes, no errors).

The same error is occuring on both machines, it's extremely irregular but always occurs in similar circumstances. The error itself is:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

If I open Event Viewer further detail is given:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2894, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x04bcc550.

The error occurs when I click when I attempt to shut the computer down, immediately after I've clicked 'Shut Down'.

I wondered if it's possible that a registry tweak I'm using is causing the instability, here are a list of registry tweaks I think could potentially be, but are not necessarily the cause:

;Helps windows identify more quickly when an application needs killing
;---------------------------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000
"HungAppTimeout"="4000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="5000"

;Multiple Explorer Processes to increase stability
;-------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001

;Speed up shutdown
;-----------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="3000"

;CPU gives active programs priority
;----------------------------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

;Faster reboot time
;------------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"EnableQuickReboot"="1"

It's all speculative, I don't have any concrete proof, I've just decided to pick on my registry tweaks. If you can confirm that any of the above 'tweaks' could cause instability, or, know another reason why I may be getting the above error then please do let me know.

All add-ons I use are MD5 checked and confirmed where possible, this includes RyanVM's 2.1.7 update pack.

Thanks.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

I'm hoping to give a reply here that doesn't sound too obvious or make it sound like I am trying to be a "Smart Guy"

The only way to check out your suspicion that it could be a registry tweak is to go to your registry backup and re-instate a previously saved registry.

( I take it that you do the obvious thing and make a new backup before each tweak)

I have just posted on the "Vista Forum" about "ERUNT" (registry backup tool) available absolutely free here : http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Basically try to go back in time on whatever operating system you are using. Seems strange that you are experiencing the same error on two different computers. Have you tweaked the registry in exactly the same way on both ?

Other Suggestions :

(A) Use System Restore to go back in time. (If the operating system you use has it.) You dont say what the operating system is.

(B) Put the error code into Google and see what it comes up with.

© Do a new clean install of your operating system.

(D) Try running with no connection to any of the usb ports - does fault still occur? - If not it could be a peripheral causing the problem.

It sounds as though you have put a lot of time and effort into being very technical with Prime 95 & memtest. Sometimes it is useful just to keep it simple & non technical with a registry backup and re-install that takes a couple of minutes to do. Nobody else had at this time replied to you so I thought I would. Mike in Cornwall.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

By running Prime95 and Memtest86+ I've been able to rule out my hardware as the cause.

I'm sorry, I didn't mention that the registry tweaks above are part of my unattended installation and therefore, both machines have an identical installation.

If it isn't the registry tweaks, could it be a corrupt *.dll file? Perhaps my original source has become corrupt along the way, is it likely (or even possible) that Windows would failt to detect a corrupt *.dll during installation?

Is there a tool that I can use to verify my Windows source is intact?

laze.

Edited by just_laze

Hi Laze. Well you are still unsure of that registry are you not ? I can tell by the remark " IF it isn't the registry tweaks ". The operative killer word being "IF"

Get that registry out of the way Laze and start afresh. I have spent a very long time chasing down elusive faults on operating systems as well as doing the same on electronic systems when I was a T.V / Audio engineer. It is all a wonderful challenge, and when we do solve the problem we think " next time that happens I'll know how to fix it". The problem is the fault never ever occurs again. We do however in the process learn a lot about the systems we are working on, so something is gained.

Yes it could be a dll, yes it could be this or it could be that. You are searching for a needle in a haystack which you may well find ( and I hope you do ) and you are going about it in the right way by asking people. The question is, how much time are you going to commit to this when you could be enjoying something else with your PC ?

Format the drive on one computer and do a normal straightforward install. Obtain, learn, and understand how to use "Norton Ghost" v2003. This can be used without having to install software to your PC from either a Floppy or a CD. A good guide is here : http://ghost.radified.com/

Once installed ,make a "Ghost" image of your new operating system and save it to a partition or another hard disk. As you add software and make various adjustments to your new system make new "Ghost" images. You will now have saved an operating system/s that you can have up and running in about 20 minutes.

It gives "Unattended Installation" a completely new perspective. Always make registry backups before adding new software or tweaking. A good tool as I have already mentioned is here : http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/.

Well you can continue to try to chase the fault down Laze and end up like me - a serious mental wreck with bits of operating system and electronic guff floating around in your nightly dreams, or go the easy way and do a clean install. Your decision mate.

I used to work up around your neck of the woods years ago as a T.V engineer Laze. Then I moved to Cornwall for tranquility. Then I started computing and I am no longer tranquil !! All the best with your quest. Mike.