Paging File Help!!!!

gina4xoxoxo

I'm so frustrated. Yes, I've read the tweaks for paging files, etc, but I'm still confused. I keep getting an error saying my virtual memory is too low and windows is increasing my paging file.

I read that you can move the paging file to another partition and also about clearing it at shutdown..... but I can't find any solid info on WHY and what the problem is.

Does anyone have a tweak or info on what I should do with the paging file? Does it slow down if I'm low on disk space on my C drive?

Okay heres what u do to create a paging file on the second partician so that it improves ur system proformance. It only works well if u have plenty of free space on ur second volume.

For example, suppose ur paging file is on the C drive and that you have plenty of space on ur D drive. Defrag the C drive and create a paging file on the D drive. Then, set the size of the paging file on the C drive to zero (effectively removing the file). Reboot the machine, then create a new paging file on the C drive. Set the size of the paging file on the D drive to 0, then reboot again. Because u've defragged the C drive, it should contain enough contiguous free space to let XP create a contiguous paging file, which the system will access alot faster freeing up the vitual mememory

and yes ur drive will slow down when disk space is low!!!

:cool:

Unimatrix, putting the pagefile on a different partition which is on the same hard disk as where the OS is will not make it any faster, it will make it worse. Only if you have 2 hard drives it becomes a good idea to put the pagefile on the second one.

1.Start Control Panel, and double click System icon

2.Click Advanced/Performance.....settings

3.Performance options choose advanced/Virtual Memory Change

4.Select the current Pagefile disk and change the initial size to 0 and click set

5.Select a different disk, and change initial size and max size and click set

6.Click OK and then close

7.Reboot machine

[b:443fd31308]Do not have 2 pagefiles on the same physical disk[/b:443fd31308]

this might be a little easier to follow:cool: