Password doesn't work after screensaver/standby

azagahl

I can log-in on my PC fine, until it goes into standby or resumes from the screensaver. Then my password won't be accepted. I've tried the obvious things like playing with Caps Lock and Shift, as well as Num Lock, Scroll Lock, Alt, and Ctrl. I can enter the password again and again. Nothing works and I am eventually forced to reboot to log in.

This problem started happening as soon as I upgraded to a better PC. Maybe my old PS/2 keyboard is incompatible with the new PC?

Any ideas? I don't want to give up the password feature, but it's an option I guess.

Make sure the keyboard config is the same for default user (before login) and for your own profile (after login and at screensaver, which is still in your login).

Default keyboard is found in registry, user, default, keyboard, preload (1st line) and is entered with the country code (409 for US, 809 for UK, I think).

Your keyboard is in Control panel, Regional and language options, etc. Check language AND corresponding keyboard.

Also, using "Welcome screen" instead of CtrlAltDel doesn't revert to default keyboard but keeps the previous profile config.