SMS OSD, WinPE, & NIC drivers

GnarlyC

I have successfully integrated 'Third Party' drivers into the normal WinPE image that comes with WAIK, but I cannot seem to integrate them into the SMS Operating System Deployment image. It is a different beast, yet is still WinPE.

Has anyone on here done this? Or do you have another solution? I'm thinking that maybe the OSD version is a different version of PE since the directory structure is different. The other thing that I have thought of is to modify the 'normal' PE to run the programs that the OSD WinPE runs... I have not tried this yet though. I have years of experience with BartPE, but have just started trying to use WinPE recently.

When trying to integrate them into the OSD image, I get -

"The image directory specified is not a valid Windows PE image."

"PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x8007000d."

I have searched for this with not much luck.

Thanks for any help!

Alan

Alan can you PM me I have just done a massive rollout with SMS OSD FP and the BDD 2.5 Enterprise.

First off you are using the OSAD FP with the latest update? as the old version of the OSD creates 0.9 version WIMS where the new update creates version 1.0 WIMS.

How are you creating you WINPE within the SMS Distro point? if you are then your Winpe image will not have WMI support.

The best way is to download the BDD 2.5 go into the Computer Imaging System into CONFIG.HTA set you paths for your OS and winpe. Set you settings up for how you want to build your Reference PC. once you have done that go to the Winpe Tab of the Config.hta, add any extra NIC drivers etc with the handy "Add extra Nic Drivers" buttton and then create you winpe the config.hta will do this automatically for you.

You actually get a choice of the type of winpe disk you would like to make....

Deploy winpe disk.

Lab winpe disk.

Once you have your "winpe.iso" you can then extract this out (Ultra iso or something) and point the SMS DP to update your winpe within SMS to include the additional files required.

Your can the use the sms capture cd to capture your WIM back to your SMS DP.

You can then set up your zerotouchinstallation.vbs by using the customsettings.ini file man you can anything in that puppy! are you using SQL or are you going to set everything within the custosettings.ini?

When you PM me I will send you a link to a very good site for OSD FP and the BDD it would be rude to post it here.

Just saw in your post you installed the WAIK this contains winpe 2.0

The OSD FP Contains winpe 2005

winpe 2.0 contains imagex.exe for version 1.0 WIM's

OSD FP contains ximage for Version 0.9 WIM's untill you update to the latest patch which will the give you ximage version 1.0 WIM's

Imagex can open mount etc ximage WIM's but ximage can not open imagex WIM's

ximage is wrapped up within the Image Capture Wizard

Thank you. I have taken your instructions and printed them out so that I can read them more thoroughly. I also read another post in which someone just copied the *.inf,*.cat, and *.sys files for some drivers into the appropriate folders and rebuilt the .iso. I have tried that, but it did not work.

I really thought that I had updated OSD FP to the last update, but I am trying to confirm either way now. There was an update in October of 2006.

Thanks you for all of your help.

Alan

I have gotten this to work really well now. Thank you for your help. Here's what I did -

1) Installed the Windows 2003 SP1 OPK from MS.

2) Followed the help file for customizing PE.

3) Updated OSD (via SMS MMC), pointing it to the customized PE from step #2.

4) That's it! Works like a charm.

Another one of many things that seem so simple and easy to do after I spent three days just finding the easy way to do it...

Alan

Alan you dont have to

We have a SQL database where the computer starts up and the Customsettings.ini file checks the type of machine.. Desktop,laptop and Server then jumps to the right part for the tyoe of hardware then dynamically updates the the Sysprep and registry with the info, this even names my machine and updates the the bios with the asset tag.. This then writes it back to the BDD database which I export into our cost model database making it all ITIL Complinet.

most of the SQL tables and store procedures are allready in the database.

The customsettings.ini is used with the Zerotouch.vbs script to pick out whatever you want..

example would be I have a widescreen laptop so i want to set the wallpaper to widescreen but keep the desktops normal etc...