HELP! Driver injection issue

I really really really am strugging on trying to get drivers into my vista image :( In order to troubleshoot I thought I'd do things very easily as per below - but I can't even do that :(

OK

1 - VistaBusiness DVD copied to local HDD (original DVD - not installed/sysprepped etc)

2 - imagex /mountrw c:\images\vistabusiness\sources\install.wim c:\temp\VistaBusiness\mount\

so image is mounted and I can see inside. Plan is to inject drivers off line

3 - pkgmgr /o:"c:\temp\VistaBusiness\mount;c:\temp\VistaBusiness\mount\windows" /n:"c:\temp\unattend.xml" /l:"c:\temp\mylog"

so basically trying to inject drivers into offline image.

OK

EVEN THIS IS FAILING! I'm going mad!!!! :o

2007-02-07 11:42:10, Info CBS Pkgmgr: called with: "pkgmgr /o:"C:\temp\VistaBusiness\mount;c:\temp\VistaBusiness\mount\Windows" /n:"c:\temp\vistabusiness\unattend.xml" /l:"c:\temp\mylog""

2007-02-07 11:42:10, Info CSI 00000001@2007/2/7:11:42:10.533 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.5) called (stack @0x65b8f745 @0x522dbf @0x51d892 @0x51e27e @0x76043833 @0x776ea9bd)

2007-02-07 11:42:10, Info CBS Pkgmgr: return code: 0x80004001

This appears to be indepentant of what unattend.xml I am using.

Does anyone have a numpty (as obvioulsy I am if I can't sort this out) ABC guide on how to get own drivers into fresh un touched DVD image as provided by MS.

(Or can you only inject after installing once and then recapturing? If so I'm stuffed)

Thanks

Hi Ryanj,

I know we've discussed parts of this offline :-)

I notice you're now getting an error in package manager. I've had this when my WinPE environment didn't contain all the necessary servicing files.

I needed the following for pkmgr to work in WinPE:

cbscore.dll

dpx.dll

drupdate.dll

drvstore.dll

pkgmgr.exe

wcp.dll

wdscore.dll

I assume from your post that your not using WinPE at this stage (because WinPE WIM mount isn't supported AFAIK!), so it might be an idea to check your servicing paths...

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ryanj,

I know we've discussed parts of this offline :-)

I notice you're now getting an error in package manager. I've had this when my WinPE environment didn't contain all the necessary servicing files.

I needed the following for pkmgr to work in WinPE:

cbscore.dll

dpx.dll

drupdate.dll

drvstore.dll

pkgmgr.exe

wcp.dll

wdscore.dll

I assume from your post that your not using WinPE at this stage (because WinPE WIM mount isn't supported AFAIK!), so it might be an idea to check your servicing paths...

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers mike - you have been really helpful - I'm just not getting anywhere. This is very unlike me :(

I'm mounting the image within my normal desktop environment with WAIK installed - but I will check the path and ensure all these are there!

BEER OWED!!!

Being in directory C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\Servicing> where DLLs are and it works

Flippin' schoolboy error.

Now I can rebuild the ISO and try to install direct from DVD and see if it works..........

Just re-read the first post at the top of the thread.

I think step 1 is invalid (but as usual, default disclaimer - I'm usually wrong!)

The default WIM must be "installed" before customizing - and I think that might include driver injections...

So you would need to do your standard install/capture before injection.

I feel your pain an frustration. Vista seems to have a much larger learning curve for unattended installs. Keep persisting and keep posting. We all learn from each others experiences!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi

You can tell when luck isn't on my side :) 3 (yess 3!) dodgy ISOs!! My 4th creation validated by MD5 checksums - and the install went fine - AND ALL of the drivers were detected and installed perfectly.

So -

1 - get original vista ISO

2 - mount ISO

3 - mount install.wim

4 - inject drivers offline

5 - unmount

6 - burn

and then install - and all drivers are perfectly installed!

However - this means

1 - my drivers are correct

2 - my technique is correct

So why on earth does this work, yet doing the same with a sysprepped image does not?!

Glad your making progress!

Its very good to know that the original/uninstalled WIM can have drivers injected - another bit of knowledge for the repository!

The only thing I can suggest is looking at the sysprep routine.

I can't remember if you have tried a build as follows:

1) Build machine from standard ISO (no injection)

2) DONT install any other drivers/apps etc (this removes them from the equation)

3) sysprep

4) inject

5) restore

If that works ,you know it must be something else inside the install. If it doesn't work, then you have at least narrowed it down to the sysprep/xml.

Cheers,

Mike