%programfiles% Environment Variable

I'm having a spot of trouble with the %programfiles% variable.

I'm trying to use it to update the virus definitions after Symantec Antivirus 10 Installs, during RunOnceEx

"%programfiles%\Symantec AntiVirus\VPDN_LU.exe /S" /f

However, the problem seems to be that when it comes to executing this, Windows has trouble with the space in 'Program Files' (which is obviously where %programfiles% resolves to) I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, like missing a quote or something but quite frankly I'm stumped, and I'd appreciate it if someone else could point me in the right direction :)

TIA,

// Xeijin

Edited by Xeijin

firstly did you try %ProgramFiles% as this is the environment variable in winxp.

go run->cmd

type

set

This will show the environment variable currently defined

Secondly what kind of error are you getting? (it might be helpful to know what we are trying to solve)

Edited by phkninja

You either need to add quotes around the command line to use the variable, or you need to substitute the 8.3 path instead of the variable for the command to work. I see you've got it in runonceex format, so it should probably look like this:

"\"%programfiles%\Symantec AntiVirus\VPDN_LU.exe\" /S" /f

Hi phkninja,

Sorry I should have explained it better:

The error is a critical one, and is basically saying that it can't find "C:\Program " which I'm assuming is because of something to do with the space in between 'Program Files'.

// Xeijin